Optimizing OMV on QNAP TS-221

• Installed OMV 3 on QNAP for a Server-Mirror: Every day the OMV-QNAP TS-221 rsync with my Server for backup'ing the data on my server. Works!

But with the installation I made some mistakes/Probs with my setup:

• Installed the System in a old 1TB HD and placed the Backup-Data on a 8TB WD-Red-HD. I think this is a Problem, while the System runs on used HD which may failure,
    • The Data-Partion is on a new, stable HD
    • it produces unnecesary costs running two HDs
    • its on OMV 3

My issue is:

• how do i run system and data on the huge HD, is there a struggle while using system and data on the same HD?
    • how can i update the system from omv 3 to 4?

Bye Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

• Offizieller Beitrag

how do i run system and data on the huge HD, is there a struggle while using system and data on the same HD

• Clone your 1TB drive to the 8TB drive e.g. with Clonezilla (you will loose all data on the 8TB drive, so you must have a backup of these data)
    • Start the QNAP from the 8TB drive to check that everything is working
    • Resize the partition on the 8TB drive as you like with gparted
    • create a new filesystem on the free space on 8TB drive with gparted
    • restart the QNAP and mount the new filesystem in the GUI of OMV (if not automatically mounted)
    • copy data on the the new filesystem

These steps should work. But I have no experience with QNAP.

how can i update the system from omv 3 to 4?

omv-release-upgrade

• omv-release-upgrade

I feel a little bit nerveous to do so, because the way to install OMV3 on this ARM-HArdware was rather special. When I remember right, this was a special Debian 8 to install OMV3 ... will a simple update cover this issue?

Q29000-ITX

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately I do not know. You might search the forum for "QNAP" to find other users of the same platform and contact them.

Before you try the upgrade you should make a clone of your system drive, so that you can roll back, if needed. If you follow the process above you will still have your 1TB drive with the system and you can clone it again on the 8 TB drive.

• One question left: When I clone the System-drive (boot drive) to a new drive, do i have to change something in the bootloader (grub) ?

Q29000-ITX

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!