SteamOS is out and runs on Debian Wheezy 7.1

• Hell yeah,

Volker you got to speed things up. SteamOS just got out running on Debian Wheezy 7.1 and this would be a nice addition!

Alltough there are some facts at the moment which are rather bad of Valve like only UEFI support and at least 500gb/1tb space needed on the OS. And this in times were nearly every new PC runs a SSD as a system drive... Should only take some days were the installation tutorials for installing SteamOS via Package Repos are out!

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was just reading about this too. There are a couple of good things about this that would help OMV as a server.

1 - Backported eglibc 2.17 from Debian testing
    2 - Updated kernel tracking the 3.10 longterm branch (currently 3.10.11)

I'm sure they will backport more apps (especially multimedia apps) and people will target this platform. This should help OMV get more bleeding edge apps while staying stable :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah. Waiting for installation instructions to install via SteamOS package repos, then I will make some space with gparted and try it out on my Server, maybe need to switch in my old GTS250, because the installed ATI/AMD card isn't supported (no AMD/ATI/Intel card is yet supported!)...

Edit: Repos are:

Code
    just like normal repos: 

Add to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos/ alchemist main contrib non-free
    or 
    deb http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos/ alchemist_beta main contrib non-free

But I'm waiting for someone to do a full guide which shows how to properly replace the lib and the kernel without bigger trouble!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I'm waiting for InHomeSharing to start. Then I will get a i3 or maybe i5 NUC. That thing will simply run Win8.1 with XBMC and Steam... A friend of mine does it already....

Greetings
    David

• Windows 8.1 sucks... I just got a new Lenovo Y510P laptop it came with 8.1 I used it for like 15 minutes and wiped the whole drive off...I make a clone image of whole disk drive just in case I changed my mind. I then installed Windows 7 and Linux Mint 16 then installed VituralBox inside Linux Mint and works great. I only run Windows 7 to play games and if I need to watch Netflix I just fire up Vituralbox inside Linux.

Windows 8.1 on a touch screen maybe... but for mouse and keyboard Windows 7. Right now everything works out of box with Linux Mint and I really have no need for Windows 7 unless I need to run a windows only program.

Is it just me or does Windows 8.1 suck.

• It sucks for sure, but I familiarised with it really fast.

Greetings
    David

• Its not so bad on tablets but on with a mouse and keyboard it's bad....like sucky bad.

All Microsoft had to do was make 2 versions of Windows 8 and call it

Windows 8 Classic
    Windows 8 Touch

And for retail box versions you would have the option to install either version on a new pc. Windows 7 was fine they could have just added the speed improvements of Windows 8. Like what they did with Vista they fixed it up and called it Windows 7

Now Microsoft wants us to use a new UI and they call it progress. Sorry Microsoft but I'm not learning your new UI unless I have a touch screen. So bye bye Windows 8, 8.1 and hello Windows 7. It's like XP and Vista all over again it seems Microsoft never learns. If I have to use a Windows machine it's going to be XP or Windows 7 but when April comes bye bye XP and Hello Windows 7 well at least until the year 2020.

• You know that you can boot straight to the Desktop on 8.1 without a hassle?

Greetings
    David

• Thx Cpoc, good to know.

Greetings
    David

• Cpoc: You don't need Windows to watch netflix. Works in Linux Mint with Chromium...

| HP Microserver N54L | 8GB RAM (ECC) | BIOS-Mod | 6 Disks - 40GB Intel SSD (Erasmus), 40GB Intel SSD (VMStore), 2TB Seagate NAS HDD (Data), 2TB WD Red (DataBackup), 6TB WD Red (Rec), 6TB WD Red (RecBackup) | Delock PCI-E USB 3.0 (Art. 89315) | deleyCON Dual DS 2x USB 3.0, 1x 2,5" & 1x 3,5" HDD | APC Back-UPS ES 700G | rsync to remote site | NFS | SMB/CIFS | SSH | omv-extras.org - VirtualBox |

• I like the idea of having it all in one box. And for those that have powerful OMV rigs (...), this would be a nice feature.

Okay, understood. Personally I prefer dedicated systems. For example: If my mediaserver fails, all my data (thousands of images) will stay because of a separate system. When I'm sometimes playing games, I boot from an external HDD - internal HDDs are not mounted in that case. My Win7-Machine is just a host with no web-access. Surfing is done with a VM and Linux.

Different types of users. :)

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!