USB Boot Drive SUKS, RAID0 SUCKS too

• Well,

bad experience: mounted two drives in stripe and then mirrored (2+2) to obtain good speed and safety.

my fault: usb drive (I was told that with low usage it was fine: no way, after a few months it became unusable) without a backup one

and....

OMV RAID0 stinks.

Zitat

RAID 0 (also known as a stripe set or striped volume) splits ("stripes") data evenly across two or more disks, without parity information, redundancy, or fault tolerance. Since RAID 0 provides no fault tolerance or redundancy, the failure of one drive will cause the entire array to fail; as a result of having data striped across all disks, the failure will result in total data loss.

Not in OMV, since I'm recovering data from single HDs, not being able to reassemble the RAID0.

I tried even two Raid Recovery softwares to re-assemble at least a single couple of striped array, but they didn't find a RAID0. Simply, it is not a RAID0, it's a fake, single unsplitted files are distributed in the two hard disks. The good side is that I am able to recover data with R-Studio.

I have to thank ryecoaaron and badiane that tried to help me, but I had no more help from the forum and I had to accept the facts:

1) USB stick sucks
    2) OMV's RAID0 sucks
    3) OMV support.. well.. probably is cheaper to buy a semi-pro product and save time (and data!)

So be aware if you are wondering about USB and RAID0..

bye
    e.

• #1 the document and posters here are very clear on USB stick without wear levelling: it will fail.

#2 Keep backups if your data is important.

#3 These forums are very good IME, sorry your experience wasn't the same. Personally I think your complaints are totally misplaced.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1) We have always recommend against usb sticks. BUT, it should be MUCH better with the flash memory plugin now. I am seeing up to 95% reduction in writes on some of my boxes.

2) Raid 0 is Linux (mdadm) Raid 0 not OMV's raid 0. It would be no different with any other Linux-based product including semi-pro products. That is why the semi-pro products are restrictive on the drives they allow. I have been using a two drive raid 0 array (virtualbox testing VMs - lots of use) for years without issue. I think you should've used raid 10 myself.

3) I think our support on the forum is excellent. You won't get qnap or synology tech support to login over teamviewer to fix something (not even an OMV problem some times) :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• WastlJ, you missed the hit..

I'm an idiot because I used a USB stick trusting who told that with a loooow usage it was fine ed even more idiot not to have a backup of it.

But mine was a RAID10, so it was mirrored.

BUT after a clean reainstall of OMV in a new drive we (me, ryecoaaron and badiane) didn't succeed in re-assemble the raid.

for one of the last passages (UDEV to fix boot volume name) I had no more support even after opening a specific thread. (sorry ryecoaaron, but the fact is that had no more support, so UDEV remains a mystery for me and for other less tech guys).

Moreover ryecoaaron you may be right, mdadm is linux not OMV, but if we assume that via GUI I built a RAID10 and then I discover the 0 is not striped.. well.. maybe the OMV's GUI sucks?
    I don't know, but that was NOT a RAID0.. luckily otherwise my data were lost!

This is free support of course so I cannot complain.. I'm only really sad about my NAS and this experience.. I will loose a lot of days, weeks to rearrange THOUSAND of photos because I completely lost the dir structure (I'm still searching for a way to recover that RAID10, but I'm afraid I have hope).

The best I can do is to tell loudly (one more time ;) :( USB STICK SUCKS and add: RAID0 but even RAID10 SUCKS. Because they don't work well (or not at all) and because you may not have the help (or the luck) to fix it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

for one of the last passages (UDEV to fix boot volume name) I had no more support even after opening a specific thread. (sorry ryecoaaron, but the fact is that had no more support, so UDEV remains a mystery for me and for other less tech guys).

I don't remember seeing that thread. I try to read every thread too.

Moreover ryecoaaron you may be right, mdadm is linux not OMV, but if we assume that via GUI I built a RAID10 and then I discover the 0 is not striped.. well.. maybe the OMV's GUI sucks?

RAID0 but even RAID10 SUCKS. Because they don't work well (or not at all)

You actually had three arrays not raid 10. You had to assemble to two arrays of raid 0 and then assemble an array of raid 1. This is much more complicated than raid 10 which is just one array. I agree you had back luck and bad results but most commercial NAS boxes use mdadm raid too. While researching my purchse of a QNAP TS-451, I ran across stories of bad tech support and lost raid arrays that their tech support couldn't recover either. One qnap tech even told user to post on forum for solution (staff member did post next day for contact though).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I saw you found it! ;) (UDEV)

Zitat

You actually had three arrays not raid 10. You had to assemble to two arrays of raid 0 and then assemble an array of raid 1. This is much more complicated than raid 10 which is just one array. I agree you had back luck and bad results but most commercial NAS boxes use mdadm raid too.

when I assembled it via GUI for me it was a RAID10.. the result is that there are not usable superblocks to re-assemble it.

trust me, I'm not gonna chose it again !!! 8)

probably I'm going for a plain mirror..

• 1) USB stick sucks

Look at our FAQ. It's in there. We recommend against it. Except these days we have a flash memory Plugin which helps improving the lifespan of such devices.

OMV RAID0 stinks.

2) OMV's RAID0 sucks

It doesn't at all.

3) OMV support.. well.. probably is cheaper to buy a semi-pro product and save time (and data!)

Cheaper? Doubt it.

If it were, you wouldn't have trouble. Maybe you missunderstood something while setting it up, or set it up in a weird fashion.

probably I'm going for a plain mirror..

I would rather go for an rsync sync instead.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!