OpenMediaVault not bein seen on home network

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a very common issue and there all sort of recommendations all over the web to try and fix this. I've already mentioned the three ones that have worked for me in the past
    But don't get your hopes to high, you might never get ALL your lan clients to "see" the server.
    For you to know, "seeing" network shares in windows, is part of the netbios stack (nmbd), get wireshark and sniff packets in every windows computer to see if you''re receiving properly netbios broadcast packets.

You might have another lan client that you don't know that is acting as a server and becoming local master browser, who knows.....

I will re install this one that I am working on at the moment and if that doesn't work I will have to look for something else....
    I am sorry but I run a business and haven't the time to waste on a product that doesn't work.

OMV is targeted as home user, you can look for another solution that fits your needs. But i wouldn't dismiss it because i can't see the server in the pretty network icon.

• Hi subzero79!
    You are right to quote I was a little hasty...stress is a nasty thing and I apologise if anyone took it the wrong way....

I was sold on Openmediavault from the first time I found it when searching for a good nas solution...

My comments were stress related and I have no excuse but can apologise....;)

You are right in what you say with Windows being hopeless at the basics...now they have come with Windows 10 and that is a disaster!!

Back to basics....

Had a problem a while back with a network card not working as it should (not according to Windows, anyway).

I had this computer as I said to latimeria... set to a reserved ip address because I have so many computers - just wanted to keep tabs on them....

I decided to go with my gut instincts on this and install a separate network card....after installation Windows promptly found it...

ifconfig gave it the wrong ip address that I reserved, so I changed the mac ip address info on my router and rebooted the computer....
    It then searched for the mac address and ip I had allocated and even Windows sees it now....

Go figure...

Like I said before I have made two downloadable pdfs that go with your how to's linked to my thread and I can upload them if you want them....

They took me time and it is one way I can contribute....
    Good guides are good guides but with downloadable pdf's they are even better...;)

But I leave it up to you guys to decide...;)

So the problem is solved...

I now need to add all the drives to each server so that I can access them....

BUT I take note of your comments and all the others....any more such problems and I will just map the drives and be done with it!

Thanks!

bookie56

• Hi guys!
    Just a little update...
    I have now had the time to set up all servers and had no more incidents...
    I make a promise to try and have a little more patience....
    I still would like to know if you gui has access to mac information...
    In the instance I needed mac info I connected the computer to a monitor and ran ifconfig...:)
    Just used to seeing that info via openmediavault...;)

bookie56

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!