Usenet, Torrents & security

• Hi all,
    I'm quite new to mediacenter and mediaserver world so I'm interested in your opinions about the use of Usenet or Torrents with Sickrage, expecially about security and how to hide the ISP IP address with a VPN.
    Which solutions are you adopting? What about Usenet or VPN providers with good value for money?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

i use a vps as a seed box (very low spec 128MB RAM), is linked to my home through vpn. All queries to my private trackers are routed through the vpn as well as any torrent/Usenet download in my home is routed through the same vpn.
    i don't use Usenet that much but I usually purchase block data offers, I got one last dec 500GB for 13 dollars from Usenet farm. For vps i use ramnode.
    for selective routing I use openwrt.

• It might depend also in where you are. For example, here in Germany, torrents are a no-go UNLESS you are willing to pay for a good VPN. If not, be ready to get a not-so-polite letter with a +1000€ fee. I used torrents with VPN but it didn't worth the hazzle. Since I got Amazon Prime and Netflix, my needs to download movies decreased exponentially.

However... I still download some stuff, mainly music albums that are difficult to find. For that I use Usenet (which is virtually impossible to track) with no VPN (I don't download a lot, therefore it does not worth it) and as subzero79, I also buy block packages. I use Newz Demon and they usually have good prices for the block plans.

If you are planning to download big amounts of data, you could take a look at the flat rate plans of Newz Demon. They have the advantage that they include VPN and encription.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• I use One Click Hosts and usenet. I havent used Peer2Peer Stuff like torrent in years. Since OCHs and Usenet both use a Server-Client Model and support SSL, I find it very secure.

Don't think however that you get the stuff there for free. Keep in mind that have to pay for your usenet provider and indexer on the usenet side. On the OCH side you'll probably need one Premium Account where most of your content providers upload.

Also guys, please keep it free from any links to specific websites.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!