[SOLVED] LDAP/AD Users

• I've spent countless hours trying to get LDAP/AD integration working. I got really close, with being able to get the Groups in AD to list in the OMV WebGUI, but the User would throw a communication error. A common/known issue. I've learned that we need to see

Code
    /usr/sbin/omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getUserList" '{"start":0,"limit":null,"sortfield":null,"sortdir":null}'

to work. I was having an issue with that command timing out. This thread was helpful, but somewhere along the way, now the omv-rpc command just returns "nobody" on both User and Group pages. However, all these commands return AD information without issue:

Code
    wbinfo -u
    wbinfo -i {someuser}
    wbinfo -g
    getent passwd
    getent group

so it seems my LDAP/AD integration is healthy, but just not the omv-rpc command to return that information for the WebGUI. I'm *so* close! Please help!

• It would seem the magic bullet is going to be in /var/www/openmediavault/js/omv/data/proxy/Rpc.js somewhere. Futzing with it will either generate the none/nobody as above, or, a timeout with this output:

Code
    oot@omv-pd:~# /usr/sbin/omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getUserList" '{"start":0,"limit":null,"sortfield":null,"sortdir":null}'
    {"response":null,"error":{"code":7003,"message":"Failed to read from socket: Resource temporarily unavailable","trace":"exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to read from socket: Resource temporarily unavailable' in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc.inc:168\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-rpc(107): OMVRpc::exec('UserMgmt', 'getUserList', Array, Array, 2)\n#1 {main}"}}

This thread and this entry lead me to Rpc.js file. This is the current contents:

Note the hard-coded entry of 60000 instead of the OMV.HTTPREQUEST_TIMEOUT variable

• Digging a bit deeper, I found somewhere about running:

Code
    omv-engined -d -f

so that I can see request output. Having done that, and selecting the Group item, which returns a list, I see this output:

Code
    Executing RPC (service=UserMgmt, method=getGroupList, params={"start":0,"limit":25,"sortfield":"name","sortdir":"ASC"}, context={"username":"admin","role":1}) ...
    RPC response (service=UserMgmt, method=getGroupList): {"response":{"total":324,"data":[{"name":"-acad","gid":16777455,"members":["mgrabowski","scvetan"],"system":false},...
    SIGCHLD received ...
    Child (pid=7237) terminated with exit code 0

But when I click on the User item, I see this output:

Code
    Executing RPC (service=ShareMgmt, method=enumerateSharedFolders, params={"start":0,"limit":25,"sortfield":null,"sortdir":null}, context={"username":"admin","role":1}) ...
    RPC response (service=ShareMgmt, method=enumerateSharedFolders): {"response":[],"error":null}
    SIGCHLD received ...
    Child (pid=9371) terminated with exit code 0

Which to my untrained eye, doesn't look like it's running the command I've been using to test:

Code
    /usr/sbin/omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getUserList" '{"start":0,"limit":null,"sortfield":null,"sortdir":null}'

Which this command returns the error output shown above in the first post.

• Now I'm wondering if the issue is tied to this some how:
    /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/usermgmt.inc

since the getGroupList function is returning correctly, I compared it to the getUserList function. It looks very similar, just curious why getting groups list from AD works but not users list.

• Yes, I've seen those posts and done those settings.

I'm running againsts Windows Server 2012, and OMV v2.2 That was the "latest", but I have seen references to v3. Is that something I can do an in-place upgrade to? I've got quite a bit of effort invested in this 2.2 installation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but I have seen references to v3. Is that something I can do an in-place upgrade to?

No. OMV 3.x is not ready yet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Quick question: when trying changes to /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc for troubleshooting, do I need to restart anything to effect the change? Or is it effectively immediately?

Also, is there some sort of an array limit that's making the function fail? I have 410 users that come back in 'wbinfo -u'

• Code
    /usr/sbin/omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getGroupList" '{"start":0,"limit":25,"sortfield":"name","sortdir":"ASC"}'

returns a list

Code
    /usr/sbin/omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getUserList" '{"start":0,"limit":25,"sortfield":"name","sortdir":"ASC"}'

times out with the error. Seems like this is a major clue, pointing to either UserMgmt.inc or whatever it's calling.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc for troubleshooting, do I need to restart anything to effect the change? Or is it effectively immediately?

YOu need to restart engined service, BTW any changes to rpc will get overwritten by package upgrade

Also, is there some sort of an array limit that's making the function fail? I have 410 users that come back in 'wbinfo -u'

few months ago there was a thread where a user had problems retrieving a big list around 3000 thousand. I think he solved the issue by increasing http timeout.

Connection Failure when listing AD Users

• Thanks. Yeah, I saw that about the 3,000 users, and I made those timeout changes. Still, I have much fewer objects (410). It's just so puzzling that all the *other* commands work correctly (wbinfo -u/-g, getent passwd/group, omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getGroupList"), only omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getUserList" fails. :/

• As for the timeouts, wouldn't that be ignored by specifying a smaller limit using:

Code
    /usr/sbin/omv-rpc "UserMgmt" "getUserList" '{"start":0,"limit":25,"sortfield":"name","sortdir":"ASC"}'

the other commands to return the user list (410 total) comes back almost immediately, so it would seem that latency isn't the issue. Since the getGroupList returns almost instantly, I'm wondering if the getUserList isn't returning the correct information for users, and so it timesout looking for some specific attribute that isn't getting returned? Any idea how to test that? What does a getUserList look like?

• Well LA DEE DAH! Resolved! How any of it worked and just not the geUserList I don't get.

Having started the omv-engined in debug mode:

Code
    monit stop omv-engined
    omv-engined -df

And then referencing this guide (for the umpteenth time), when I restarted the winbind service

Code
    service winbindrestart

, a saw a bunch of LDAP errors scroll by in the omv-engined debug screen, referencing unable to talk to my AD server via LDAPS. I then edited the associated files and restarted winbind again:

Code
    vi /etc/libnss-ldap.conf
      cat /etc/pam_ldap.conf
      vi /etc/pam_ldap.conf
      service winbind restart

And voila - no errors, and the getUserList returned my AD users! Woo hoo! :thumbup:

One minor(?) observation, however: in my user list, the email address for all my users are blank - though I know my users have email addresses associated (especially because we are using Office365 for our email with AD integration). Is that something I will need to concern myself?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!