Greyhole Plugin for 0.4

• Has there been any news regarding an update to the Greyhole plugin that will work with 0.4? I'd love to upgrade to 0.4 but don't want to lose the Greyhole plugin. Yes, I realize Greyhole works from the command line but would rather have a visual plugin.

Thanks!

• I talked to forum member sbocquet about this plugin a while ago. Apparently he and Marcel contacted the developer of Greyhole to try and update the plugin and the developer was not very helpful. So there is not to much going on currently where this plugin is concerned.

• I too was disappointed not to see a greyhole plugin for 0.4. However after some prompting from other forum members, I took the plunge and installed greyhole and mange/configured via CLI. This wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, once setup there isn't much (or any) CLI work you really need to do. I found that the simplest way of installing and configuring greyhole was to install a OMV 0.3 installation in a virtual machine, setup greyhole in that using the plugin, and then essentially copying the information in the config files to my 0.4 installation (of course making the required basic changes).
    Admittedly even with this process it took me half a day to setup, but I am glad I did it and would certainly recommend it.

My only one concern is, if a plugin is eventually written will it successfully read all my config files and allow me to continue managing Greyhole through the new plugin or, if once you go down the CLI route are you forced to stick with that even when a plugin appears.

Good luck and give it a go! :D

• Having said all of the above, I have noticed a slight problem. I believe during updates the /etc/samba/smb.conf file gets over written and manual changes I made for Greyhole settings get lost. For example, the smb.conf file should have lines such as

Code
    [global]
    unix extensions = no
    wide links = yes
    [Videos]
    dfree command = /usr/bin/greyhole-dfree
    vfs objects = greyhole

However I those chances have been lost, I assume this happened during some update.
    Can anyone help as to how to makes these changes persistent through updates?
    Thank you.

• I have no problem using Greyhole from CLI, have 2 other servers that do, but my take is if you're going to install something to have a GUI, like OMV, then why have it be half assed part GUI part CLI. For me it's one or the other but not both.

• Doesn't marcel host everything on Git? I wonder how hard it would be for someone else to pickup and adopt. I am clueless myself, but I sure would like it updated. What exact aspect of the plugin is actually broken in .4?

• Zitat von "drap"

Having said all of the above, I have noticed a slight problem. I believe during updates the /etc/samba/smb.conf file gets over written and manual changes I made for Greyhole settings get lost. For example, the smb.conf file should have lines such as

Code
    [global]
    unix extensions = no
    wide links = yes
    [Videos]
    vfs objects = greyhole

However I those chances have been lost, I assume this happened during some update.
    Thank you.

I have noticed the same problem (also run greyhole from the cli). I added a couple lines to the monitrc to try and detect if the file was changed. If it is changed, then monit will stop samba, copy over the backup smb.conf and then restart samba, then restart greyhole and restart mount_shares_locally.

• I would absolutely love to have greyhole working. I was looking for how to install 2.0 to get greyhole but, couldn't find a download link. I think I may have to downgrade. I currently have 10 drives ranging from 1.5tb to 3tb and greyhole would work perfectly for me when I add drives to the array.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "luchedesbois"

have you some news about update plugin for new version (v0,4)

Unfortunately, no one is working on this plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "drap"

Having said all of the above, I have noticed a slight problem. I believe during updates the /etc/samba/smb.conf file gets over written and manual changes I made for Greyhole settings get lost. For example, the smb.conf file should have lines such as

Code
    [global]
    unix extensions = no
    wide links = yes
    [Videos]
    vfs objects = greyhole

Thank you.

If you make the changes in the OMV samba web admin the changes will persist.
    put the unix extensions = no and wide links = yes in the "extra options" on the settings tab and
    the dfree command/vfs objects on each shares "extra options" section

• Any chance you can explain the process a little? Like how to go about the process from start to finish installing/configuring greyhole. Then the changes required in the OMV gui? If there is a little more explanation I can run it on my test system to put proper documentation in the wiki.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could always install omv 0.3 and install the plugin. It works just fine. Greyhole works fine on 0.4 but the plugin needs to be updated.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

None other than some newer plugins. It just isn't supported. Debian will stay updated but not OMV.

• I have just rolled back to 0.3 for the greyhole plugin, its just far to useful! I really hope its back for 0.5! Raid is just silly for media storage.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks all for the time and effort!

• Why does it not work with omv 4??

I have setup a virtual machine running greyhole 3.31 and omv4 and so far the plugin is working the same as it did on omv3.

If some one can say whats wrong or a scenario that will cause greyhole to fail i will look into it.

[align=center]banner@1x.jpg
    What I am watching/watched on my Popcorn Hour media player
    omv 2.1.1 stoneburner | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 1.29
    MySQL (Percona[size=8]) | Newznab | Sonarr | CP | HP | NZBget | YAMJ | CUPS

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!