OMV 3.0 dnsmasq Plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any other (GUI) DNS/DHCP server available in OMV3?

Not that I know of.

Not having any kind of DNS/DHCP server in OMV 3 would be really a show-stopper for me and a reason to either remain on OMV2 or switch to another NAS OS.

I don't understand why a DNS/DHCP server has to be on a NAS let alone have to have a plugin. Two of six commercial NASes I looked at have this ability.

Of course one could always configure it manually.

There are dockers out there that have a web interface and we have a docker plugin. Another option...

But there's already a lot that has to be configured manually (i.e. no more Virtualbox-gui)

Well since there is a virtualbox gui (plugin works as far as I know), what else has to be manually configured?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Not that I know of.

I don't understand why a DNS/DHCP server has to be on a NAS let alone have to have a plugin. Two of six commercial NASes I looked at have this ability.

There are dockers out there that have a web interface and we have a docker plugin. Another option...

Well since there is a virtualbox gui (plugin works as far as I know), what else has to be manually configured?

I get your point, but it is what I was expecting. Argumenting with why something has to be available as a plugin or be installed on a NAS, you could question a lot of the plugins currently available in OMV2 as well (At least everything that has to do with multimedia). I didn't look at all OMV3 plugins that are available right now but I found a post where someone said Virtualbox would not be coming anymore (Thanks for the response that it is coming! :-)), and then this thread about dnsmasq. I do respect the fact that obviously a lot of users require having multimedia applications on their OMV2 NAS and (almost?) nobody uses DHCP on their NAS. It was just nice for me to have my basic services that don't require a lot of CPU and memory running on the same machine.

In my eyes, the strength of OMV lies in its nice-looking user interface with easy configurable options. One can basically get a NAS up and running within minutes and with only little knowledge of what is actually happening under the hoods. From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the docker images don't provides a nice looking user interface. So I could as well just install them on a bare headless debian server.

It looks like its a lot of work to convert dnsmasq to OMV3, so it's perfectly fine if it's not yet available. I also understand that since there is only a small group of people asking for dnsmasq nobody wants or has time to convert dnsmasq to OMV3. But I don't understand what target audience OMV is when there is JDownloader, *NZB, Teamspeak available but dnsmasq should not be installed on a NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only bring up these arguments when it applies to plugins that are not ported. If someone chooses to port them, I don't care if they should or should not be on a typical NAS because the work is being done by someone who wants to do that work. But, if someone is expecting me (pretty much no one else is helping) to port them, I am going to tell people why I don't want to port it.

I found a post where someone said Virtualbox would not be coming anymore (Thanks for the response that it is coming!

It isn't coming. It is already ready.

But I don't understand what target audience OMV is when there is JDownloader, *NZB, Teamspeak available but dnsmasq should not be installed on a NAS.

Different plugin maintainers have different opinions on what a NAS should be used for. Obviously someone wants to work on jdownloader, nzb,etc. I don't want to work on dnsmasq.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I only bring up these arguments when it applies to plugins that are not ported. If someone chooses to port them, I don't care if they should or should not be on a typical NAS because the work is being done by someone who wants to do that work. But, if someone is expecting me (pretty much no one else is helping) to port them, I am going to tell people why I don't want to port it.

It isn't coming. It is already ready.

Different plugin maintainers have different opinions on what a NAS should be used for. Obviously someone wants to work on jdownloader, nzb,etc. I don't want to work on dnsmasq.

OK, I understand. Thanks for your answer.

• `@ryecoaaron` I saw some more development going on github, do you plan to release the omv3 version anytime in the future?
    I thinking about setting up dnsmasq but could easily hold out some time if I knew the plugin is coming at some point.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for an ETA.

Thanks for your work!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I put it in the testing repo.

• ryecoaaron:
    I would like to test the plugin, but get an error message when configuring:

Code
    Fehler #0: exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start dnsmasq 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for dnsmasq.service failed. See 'systemctl status dnsmasq.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(83): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1) #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(101): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('start', NULL, false) #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/dnsmasq.inc(56): OMV\System\SystemCtl->enable(true) #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(189): OMVModuleDnsmasq->startService() #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array) #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(150): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array) #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(528): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatus5C...', '/tmp/bgoutput4Q...') #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(151): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure)) #9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(208): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array) #10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array) #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array) #13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1) #14 {main}

What do I have to do?

Thanks and kind regards.

2 BananaPi, 1 OrangePiPC+, 1 OrangePiPC with OMV 6.0.x

• Offizieller Beitrag

Post a screenshot of your settings and the output of:

systemctl status dnsmasq
    journalctl -xn

• Offizieller Beitrag

It says you have an invalid dhcp scope. For pxe to work with dnsmasq setup as the proxy dhcp server, you need to enable dhcp and specify a lease network with first and last IP addresses. That is what I do and I don't have port = 0 in extra options.

• Offizieller Beitrag

without dnsmasq plugin my omv connect the internet, with the plugin connect omv to internet impossible.
    What must I do?

On my system, I don't have the port = 0 option and my dns server is set to localhost (127.0.0.1) in the network setup.

• @ryecoaaron:

I changed the dnsmasq configuration, no connect to internet.

I enable the dnsmasq plugin:

Code
    root@terra:~# ping google.com
    ping: unknown host google.com
    root@terra:~#

I disable the plugin:

Please help my OMV, thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You changed the wrong dns server field. I was referring to the network adapter dns server for the machine not the field in the dnsmasq plugin.

• Hello all.

i gently push this up.

I set up my RPI2 with this settings. The connection is also good and it works. But the DHCP-Serivce is not active - i became an error (see attachment).

And when i startet a Boot-Image from PXE (bsp. "Clonzilla 2.3.2-22 x86_32i586 live") then became an massage: "nfsmount: need a path" and this image failt to boot.

can anyone help me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't have a lease network selected. I'm guessing you are going to say there wasn't anything in the drop down which means you are using dhcp for the host's address. You have to use a static ip for the host.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!