Choosing i3 vs i5 Processor & RAM For OMV Server, Running Apps

• My OMV box is going to run Sonarr, NZBGget, Transmission, and Couchpotato 24/7, and serve video throughout the house. Never more than 2 streams at once and usually just one.

I have a good idea of the board I want to use, to maximize SATA ports, but should I be looking at an i5 processor instead of an i3 for running these apps?

Also, is 16 GB of memory enough? Too much? Just don't want any bottlenecks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i3 is enough. i5 would be better if you are transcoding. I would guess you could run all that on 4gb ram but 8gb is probably cheap.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Little bit late to the party but my system is i3 6100/8GB and it can concurrently transcode two Plex streams (possibly more but never tried), torrent at few hundred mbps, run SMB for media and IP cam video, web server, run Crashplan backups etc with CPU to spare. RAM generally sits around 3 - 3.5GB used.

• I use i3 4130T with 4GB and it can easily transcode 2 or 3 streams with plex. The downloads will be no problem either.
    I use BtSync (now named resilio) and it now has some trouble transcode 3 streams simultaneously, with a folder of 50GB of my web development files (html, css, images, psd, zip).
    With the i3 6100 and 8GB mentioned above I don't foresee any problems for just transcoding 2 streams.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!