250GB HDD to 30GB SSD

• I plan to use GParted and Clonezilla to move my OMV Install from a 250GB HDD to a 30GB SSD.

Do I just re-seize the partitions ot less than 30GB and do a Disk-Disk Clone?

What partions can I expect to see and does anything need to be done with the MBR to make it bootable after the clone?

James

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would resize the source partition using gparted first and then use Disk-Disk clone. I have done that before without problems. Clonezilla clones the mbr and grub.

As for console only... You can't do it with the system being mounted r/w. So, you really need to boot something else. While you probably can do it without a monitor and keyboard, it wouldn't be easy. You could take the system drive out of the system and clone it to a different drive in another system.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So I managed to complete this migration from HDD to SSD using GParted & Clonezilla (Parted Magic).

If you are cloning to a smaller device from the original (which clonezilla does not support), you need to re-size the original Partition of the drive using GParted to less then the size of the new drive and then make sure the unallocated portion of the disk is at the end of the disk (not in the middle or the beginning).

When using clonezilla, YOU MUST use advanced to disable the size checking of the drive you are cloning to or else you get an error and the clone stops.

• James,

I notice you are running plex media server from your signature, can you tell me if you are running in your XP VM or are you somehow running it directly in Linux ?

Also is there any instructions on how to use the virtual box plugin, I've installed it but don't know how to proceed creating vms?

Cheers,
    Kudos

• Thx to Tekkbebe you can find the installation Tutorial for Plex here:
    http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1203

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks, I have now installed Plex Media Server!

So Now I just need to find out about VirtualBox Plugin. Do you create in the desktop version first then transfer the HD file perhaps?

Kudos

• Thanks for the help guys, I've looked through that link and searched online but can't seem to find any reference to what the url is for the virtrualbox website that is created.

The link provided gives links to OMV VM's in virtualbox format, but i can't seem to find anything about using the plugin in OMV?

Cheers,
    Kudos

• In the linked Tutorial Section you'll find the Link to the Plugin Repository:

http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4

If you add it to your OMV Installation you can install the plugin via the OMV -> System -> Plugins.
    After that you'll find a new Section under your Plugins named VirtualBox. There you find the VirtualBox PHP Webinterface.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!