System drive full and app installation

• I'm new to NAS, OVM, Docker and so on. I wanted to experiment with a home server and installed OVM 5 on a 4 GB USB thumb drive. I was trying to follow some tutorials about installing some stuff with docker/portainer, but I can't manage to complete anyone due to space issues. I checked and my OMV drive is already full, little more than 1 MB free space (not sure if this is bare OVM or if I manage to already install things that I can't recall now) . Should I start again from an 8 GB drive or is there a way to install Calibre, Midnight Commander or other software bypassing the lack of space in my system drive? I'm using an internal HDD and 2 external HDD (1 TB each) to hold data. Thanks!

• 8GB ought to do it for now. I run on a 16GB SSD, it's now half full, but has been in use for five years.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Flash media is really cheap. The price difference between 8, 16, and 32 is going to be miniscule at best. 8 is minimum, I would personally go 16 or 32. That said, if your system is set up properly, 8 should be fine. I've got a lot of dockers, etc. going on my system and I'm using 2.8gigs on my system partition (that is not counting the swap space).

• I have just checked my installation drive and I realized that it's actually 8 GB. Below is the information I got from parted. It seems that I have almost 4 GB in swap. Is that alright? RAM memory on that server is 4 GB, not sure if they should match. I think I didn't change any parameter during installation, those seem to be the default values.

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags

1 1049kB 538MB 537MB fat32 boot, esp

2 538MB 4316MB 3778MB ext4

3 4316MB 8010MB 3694MB linux-swap(v1)

Inside OVM panel, aAt Storage/File Systems, the system partition reads: Total 3.40 GiB, Available 1.19 MiB, Used 3.20 GiB. And I think I haven't installed anything (maybe vim and ncdu). Shouldn't I have more space available for other installations?

Can I just downsize the swap to enlarge the system partition? How do I do that?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!