New NAS project - Hardware advice needed

• Hello.

I currently have a NAS built into an old HP notebook from my wife. The specs are:

- Intel Core i3 M 350 @2,27 GHz

- 2 gb ram

- Intel integrated video (not sure which one)

- 1 TB Toshiba HHD

For my needs, that are basically photos backup and Plex (Movies + TV Shows), this NAS is working perfect (but not capable to run 4k movies).

The only "issue" is the ethernet that is not gigabit... and it slows down a lot when I'm backing up my photos or other things.

Since its not possible to upgrade the ethernet, i'm considering to built a new NAS server.. but the only problem is that I don't know the hardware needed to keep doing what I'm doing with (4K would be nice to have).

So, my requirements would be:

- Gigabit ethernet

- 4K capable

- Transcode? Not sure.. I watch everything on a TV Samsung, with subtitles on. Does it need to transcode?

- Budget friendly :)

Any advices?

Thank you guys.

• How much budget do you have? My build was under 400€, you can find it in the signature.

You can go cheaper if you buy only used parts.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

An odroid-hc1 or hc2 would work if you don't need transcoding (doubt you do).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is limiting for you is not the computer but the network and the media you intend to stream. It does not require much computer to fill a Gbps ethernet connection. But you say there is no GbE. What is there? This will be what decides how big video you can stream. By big I mean measured as bitrate in Mbps.

You can easily estimate what is needed. Just divide the size of the biggest 4K video file you intend to use, in MB, with the play length in seconds and multiply by 8 to convert to bits. That is the bandwidth needed, in Mbps. Double this bandwidth, once or twice, to get some margins and to allow for more than one stream or other simultaneous use. Then compare this with what bandwidth you actually got, and you will know if it is possible to stream your content.

There is 4K content and then there is 4K content. A typical 4K movie can vary in size from 1-2 GB to 60GB or even more, depending on how much the video is compressed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!