Replacing data HDD with new SSD

• Hi guys,

I have a question regarding data migration.

My current OMV setup is a dell optiplex with 1*128gb SSD as the OS drive and 1*2TB HDD as data drive.

I am wanting to change the data drive to a SSD and obviously want to migrate all the data from the HDD to the new SSD. Is their a way (possibly using rsync/dd) to effectively:

1. Clone all the data on the data HDD to the SDD

2. Remove the HDD and replce it with the SSD

3. Power up OMV and all absolute paths work OK

I know how to clone the data from one disk to another using dd. The bit I am unsure about is when I switch the drives out and power it up....fstab is going to probably complain and i don't know how the absolute path angle will affect things.

Another method I thought of was to add the disk in via a usb enclosure and add it to omv. Then extend the partition into the new SSD, then somewhow shrink it out of the HDD. Only problem would come when I physically remove the the HDD from the SATA connector and swap it for the SSD...again, the SSD is going to have a different label...

Has anyone attempted to do this? Is their a way of doing it that will not screw it up?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to run a mirrored backup using Rsync. Putting the ssd in a usb enclosure would be fine. This guide has a couple of “Getting Started” pdf guides, one for OMV4 and one for OMV5. Starting on about page 59, depending on which version you are looking at, there is a detailed explanation of full disk mirroring and recovery using Rsync. When you have hdd Rsync’d to ssd you simply “repoint” your shares to the new ssd. You are done unless you want to remove the hhd and place the ssd in its place. What you should do is just reverse the physical locations of the drives and adjust your Rsync job and you have a backup of your data. That would be wise. Be careful with Rsync. If you get “Source” and “Destination” switched you will wind up with two empty drives. It says as much in the guide several times.

Good luck.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

It just dawned on me that you could run your os on a 32gig thumb drive (SanDisk Ultra Fit: $7 on Amazon) and have both data and backup internal. But that is a different issue, as in BACKING UP YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM.

• Clone the HDD to the SSD using dd.

Remove the HDD and replace it with the SSD. You cannot have both drives in the machine and expect it to work without doing an additional step.

Power up the machine and be happy.

Just one question for you. Are you really going to buy a 2TB+ SSD? Because dd is going to expect the target drive of the copy to be as large or larger than the source drive.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi,

Thank you.

The intention is indeed to replace it with a 2TB SSD. The HDD will fail at some point and it is not in a raid config, SSD shold have a long and healthy life!

Agricola - the "repointing" bit - can this be done via the gui or is it a command line job?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you set your docker folder in the OMV-Extras tab to your hhd and it is a share or it resides in a share then just repoint it like the rest. All of my top level folders are shares.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!