General hardware/software question

• I had setup OMV4 on an odroid hc2 near a year ago. At that time it was the path of least resistance because I used a pre-made image.

It took a good amount of time to get everything setup and working with no issues or worries. It was doing a simple duty of being a NAS and TFTP server for my netbooting pi4's (6) so I also got well versed in managing my netboot section for each pi. One of the pi4's was a pihole server. That's all it did.

I started looking at the idea of consolidating some of my services (like pihole, openvpn etc.). I was looking at the vpn plugin for OMV4 and went down the rabbit hole of docker and such. I am behind in the times.

So now I want to try docker but OMV4 and Debian9 (xu4 board on the hc2) are EOL and all my research is saying I have to clean install OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster). I am already looking at a lengthy process of backing up or archiving my omv settings and doing much work over again.

So, I went and purchased the Synology DS220+ with upgraded/increased RAM. This model (from research) is capable of running docker. Since I am going down the rabbit hole of docker I figured I might as well get the hardware to play with it.

So after having said all that, is it a good idea to run OMV5/Deb10 in a docker container on the ds220+ or should I just stick to what synology offers with their DSM and run docker for other services?

I have been very happy with my omv setup but since the new hardware comes with its own os should I stick with omv?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV5/Deb10 in a docker container

OMV doesn't work in docker.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 22/7

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • After more research I will just use the DS220+ as is. With docker and vm capabilities I actually would have more than enough to get my system up and expanded. I really did like how I got used to omv but since omv4/deb9 eol'd which was pushing me to have to near start from scratch again I will just re-create everything on the synology. Thanks all.

• On Synology hardware, its pretty hard to argue with running synology DSM OS. If you run a SHR and BTRFS, you will make the most of the uniqueness it offers. Good move on maxing out the RAM, it will open up options for containers and smoothen out the performance. With only two slots I/OPS is going to bottleneck you in simultaneous tasks at some point, so make sure to disable absolutely everything you don't need to run.

I am looking at a move from synology (Xpenology) to OMV for the benefits offered from its complete debian distro roots. So far I am liking it very much!

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

• Thanks for your reply mervincm.

I was definitely planning to disable anything not needed. I ran into xpenology in my research but since I purchased a synology rig I wasn't concerned about it. What were you running xpenology on if you don't mind?

I have found some pages where older synology rigs have had netbsd installed onto it so I will just keep my eye out for anything related to getting another os on my rig when the time is right.

• Always some form of desktop or workstation hardware, from lenovo TS140 thinkserver to today's ASUS Z390 with i9-9900k/64GB/Intel 750 NVME/6xMicron 5100pro SSD/7xSeagate Ironwolf drives. I have owned 3 actual synology units and must have built 10 xpenology systems over the years. I am looking to OMV now to see what I may gain from a more standards based environment. sometimes synology in their attempt to simply things goes overboard at feature removal.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

• You can try to upgrade your HC2 from OMV4 to OMV5 without having to reinstall. No guarantee it will work, but if you have a clone of your SD card ....

Once the synology is live and I have all my services migrated that will be an exercise just to see if it can be done. I have a webpage tagged somewhere in which the author did exactly that (omv4/deb9 to omv5/deb10) albeit with some errors he had to fix along the way and the author even admitted there may be other aspects not working but he hadn't discovered it as of his writing due to his needs had been met to that point.

Essentially once the synology is fully live the hc2 will be relegated to random testing adventures.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!