going in circles backup sync need help

• Hi, ok pretty new to this, I have been able to install OMV 5, Plex on a new server that I put together recently (not very familiar with LINUX). Created some shared folders on the server which I can access from all computers on my network, can assign rights/permissions as needed. I have attempted to use Rsync, USB Backup and Syncthing and I think I am getting it right in how to use and set up however I am not able to do the following. Can this be done. I have a few windows PC with specific directories which I want backed up (lets say Downloads/Documents/Desktop). The back up can be done once a week that is adequate for my use. I would like the backups to be visible on my new server in a specific shared folder. I have a directory on my shared drive already called Backup with sub directories for Downloads/Documents/Desktop. I have done the back up manually and looking to automate it. I believe I had synthing working however I could never see where the backup was located from my windows PC (I think it was sticking it somewhere else other than where I wanted of thought it would go). If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I feel I am almost there just missing one last bit to get me to my solution which I don't believe to be impossible.

Essentially I have a very basic NAS with Plex running (OMV in one smaller hard drive, and 1 Large drive for backup). I have another back up system which I am going to move off site and each computer has its own internal backup drives. So I have some back ups in place already, just adding more. Once I solve this problem of backing up the computers, I hope to be able to backup photos from cell phone to the computers (which backup), then computer backs up to my new OMV server

Hoping someone can help

• Offizieller Beitrag

I believe I had synthing working however I could never see where the backup was located from my windows PC

You can use the "find" command to see where a specific file ended up. You have to use it from CLI.

https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/find.1.html

something like

find -name *invoice* / will find all files with a name that contains invoice (case sensitive) starting from the /, so it will search all drives that are mounted.

Which OS are your clients? In Windows you might be able to use the backup functionality from Windows to backup to a smb share.

• Thanks,

Source files/folders are all in Windows, yes might try windows back up.. sometimes I just make things too difficult for myself. will also try the search command to see if I can locate the folder. Once I get the folders backing up then next goal is to get photos/video from my cell phone backed up to my computers (hate doing it manually).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!