Installation on SSD / frequency of writes ?

• Hi,

I just put a system together (HP Microserver N54L, 4G RAM, 120GB SSD, 2x4TB HDD) and successfully installed OMV.

Now I just read multiple times in some comments to OMV that it is not suitable to be installed on an SSD because OMV generates a lot of writes to the system drive.

My questions are:
    1) is it true that installing on an SSD is not recommended?
    2) which excessive writes (compared to a standard Debian installation) does OMV additionally generate?
    3) is there a possibility to reduce OMV specific writes? (I'm familiar with the standard Linux SSD howtos regarding noatime etc.)

Could OMV be improved so that it automatically uses optimized settings (e.g. noatime) for the system drive in case an SSD is being used?

Thanks,
    daflow

• Offizieller Beitrag

An ssd is fine because it has wear leveling and lots of people use them. We tell people not to use a usb stick because they typically do not have wear leveling and use lower grade flash.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I think this sort of falls in the same category.

Are there any noticable differences between HDD and SSD as system disk, besides boot time of course? I'm asking because my Web-Gui is somewhat sluggish, the plugin and update page takes ages to load, same for refreshing the page.

• Offizieller Beitrag

An ssd would speed it up a little but web gui/plugin page use a lot of cpu. What cpu are you using?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes because it simulates the installation of each plugin. The more plugins, the slower. Your cpu is fast enough. If you are using an old, slow hard drive, you might see a noticeable improvement using an ssd.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Yes because it simulates the installation of each plugin. The more plugins, the slower. Your cpu is fast enough. If you are using an old, slow hard drive, you might see a noticeable improvement using an ssd.

Hmmm...I guess I'll be investing in a small SSD sometime in the future. Thanks for the explanation btw.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What's the specs of your system drive and how slow are we talking? I'm using a 5400rpm drive, with a slower processor, and the webUI is fairly snappy (to me). It loads slightly faster than most "normal websites" on a 30mb connection, but I would expect that.

I suspect you have something else going on rather than this being a sata vs ssd issue (ie, that drive might be dying). Have you tried clearing your browser cache. If you're using Internet Exploder or Mozilla Memory Leak(ie.. Firefox), have you tried a different browser?

• My system drive is an 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda 120GB, it is old though, nicked three off those from an old server ;D. As for how long we are talking, I haven't exactly measured it but it's somewhere around 15sec to login 30sec for plugin/updated page and around 2-5sec when switching between pages, give or take. One thing that takes forever and I try to avoid is the ACL box on my root share.

oh... and I'm using Chrome, but it's the same for Firefox and no difference on tablet or phone.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Don't know how you got this idea.

I read a reader's comment in the german computer magazine c't (03/2014 pg.12) and lateron found a similar
    comment in some forum post or blog entry.

• Kannst du mir den Leserkommentar bitte mal als scan oder foto zukommen lassen? daflow?

Danke.

Gruss
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Sodden, that is a pretty old cpu you are using. It's a 65 nanometer. Pretty old and not nearly as energy efficient as the newer ones.

Yeah, I salvaged a lot of my OMV hardware from old Rigs. I was planning on updating my hardware sometime, but I haven't yet decieded what path I will take, server or desktop. AMD Opteron would be cool but is expensive. AMD desktop CPU's/APU's however are cheap but often lack features a "home server" or dedicated server system might use. Intel is out of the question, too expensive to put in the basement and forget :D . In the end it all comes down to money and how much someone is willing to spend.

• Where is a haswell celeron or pentium to expensive for the basement?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Switching to Intel would mean a new mainboard, since you'll always want to plan ahead you take a board with a socket that will see a few generations of CPU's. New board at this point would also include DDR3, at this point we're already talking 200-300 bucks. So if I can save 20-30 bucks on a cheaper AMD CPU+Board (the socket policy is way better in my opinion) I'll want to do that (yes I'm a cheap person :D).
    But I think we're drifting off topic here.

• Maybe offtopic for this thread but this is fine. We still talk about your NAS so we can stay here...

So, Intel Pentium G3220, 2x 3.00GHz - 50 €
    Cheap 1150 Socket Mainboard - <50 €
    2x2GB DDR3 RAM - 35 €

total - 135 € which is about 185dollars

So where are we talking about 200-300 bucks? I mean its just a suggestion. And not that expensive, but powerfull one.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!