On a dual HDD NAS can I use the 2nd HDD as the backup destination of the 1st HDD on Odroid HC4?

• Well, the pot has been peed in and the trigger has been pulled. One HC4 has been purchased. If I manage to get it up and running I might just come back and brag about it ^^ Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I manage to get it up and running I might just come back and brag about it

You better! I just looked at the board and it's impressive. I think this will be a wonderful start, and if you ever upgrade this will make a nice backup server.

• I just looked at the board and it's impressive. I think this will be a wonderful start, and if you ever upgrade this will make a nice backup server.

Thanks. That's music to my ears.:thumbup:

Thanks guys.

Don't know if anyone has said this before, but there's a real nice vibe in this here forum.

Cheers.:thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Armbian status has gone from "Work In Progress" to "Not Officially Supported." Anyone one with any insight on that feel free to share.

Hardkernel has doc's for the -> HC4 and a process for getting OMV up and running. (It must work or they wouldn't have published it.)

Use new class 10 SD-cards, preferably SanDisk or Samsung. Get 2 cards of the same size so you can clone your OS / boot drive.

If that install process works, fine.

Otherwise, Armbian's "Not officially Supported" doesn't mean it won't work.
    Scroll to the bottom of the Armbian page you linked above, get the Buster version, download it and give the Armbian image a try. (If you're not a Linux expert, this guide may help to get you started -> Armbian Buster)

If the HC4 proves to be popular, and I believe it will be, the Armbian crew may pick up development again.

I will say this much, if you get it to work don't be lazy - CLONE the SB-Card. Then before making any change to the NAS or the Debian OS (to include updates), update the backup clone. There's a process for doing that in this -> Guide , under OS backup, along with details and considerations.

• There's still hope! :)
    This is really helpful info. Thanks for taking the time to post it.:thumbup:

Armbian's "Not officially Supported" doesn't mean it won't work.

You're right. Panic set in when I checked the download page and saw the big red "Not officially Supported" tag. All the SoC's bells and whistles mightn't work, but the bare headless server bits might be fine. Fingers crossed.

Aside: This is probably just me but that Odroid Wiki is kind of weird to navigate through? I eventually found that tutorial. Here's the link in case anyone else was having similar issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's still hope!

If you get OVM working (or not), please come back to this thread and post. The HC4 is NICE little self contained 2 SATA port SBC. I'm sure others will want to try to use it. Your experience will help others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Aside: This is probably just me but that Odroid Wiki is kind of weird to navigate through? I eventually found that tutorial. Here's the link in case anyone else was having similar issues.

If you follow the hardkernel wiki build, there's a mistake in it. They say the sign in for the OMV web page is user root and the pw is openmediavault. It's actually user admin with pw openmediavault.

• Thanks.

Again, really helpful info.:thumbup:

I received the HC4 today. Very neat and tidy. Power brick is a little bigger than usual but all in all, very nice.

Still waiting on HDDs and MicroSD card. (There are delivery delays here. Ireland is in lock down. Only food shops are open so every body is buying extra stuff online. Added to that we're in the run up to Christmas. HC4 came through nice and quick though.)

What's the difference between Armbian and Debian on SBCs? I thought Armbian was Debian but somehow optimized for SBCs (MicroSD wear mitigation and other tweaks?)

Or maybe a better way to put it- what kind of issues might regular Debian cause the HC4?

• Offizieller Beitrag

From Armbian's website: "Linux kernel and Debian framework." I'm sure others will be able to explain the details. It's basically Debian customi(s)ed (for you brothers across the pond) for SBC's. Glad to hear you got your nas. Waiting for the rest of the stuff is hard. Hope it comes in soon. Lock down is the pits.

• What's the difference between Armbian and Debian on SBCs? I thought Armbian was Debian but somehow optimized for SBCs (MicroSD wear mitigation and other tweaks?)

Or maybe a better way to put it- what kind of issues might regular Debian cause the HC4?

Armbian provides Debian or Ubuntu image with their own customized packages and keep updates for many SBCs. This helps generic users to flash the image to SD card and use the OS easily on their SBC easily, Debian does not provide the image for every single SBC. Regular Debian won't have the kernel features for ODROID-HC4 since it's new, some hardware specific kernel patches or tweaks won't be with Debian updates right away, but Armbian can update for their users.

Unfrotunately, looks like Armbian for ODROID-HC4 is not ready to run yet. Their download page shows "No official support (CSC)". So you would consider to install Debian using the Netboot Installer as crashtest share the link. Also there is another video clip installs OMV5 to ODROID-HC4 using the installation script of OMV5.

Installing OMV5 to ODROID-HC4

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW: The board I used for testing Armbian builds, a Rock64, went from "Supported" to "Not Supported". I don't know when it happened, but it occurred in the last 4 to 6 months . (Due to COVID-19? :))
    I downloaded Armbain's latest image (Buster with Kernel 5.8) for the Rock64 and built OMV on it according to the guide. The basic build worked fine.

There are delivery delays here. Ireland is in lock down.

I'm not meaning to stir the Irish pot, here, but do you think the English are responsible for the lock down? ;)

Power brick is a little bigger than usual but all in all, very nice.

That's probably because of the current and voltage requirements. The brick is set up to power the Odroid AND 2 full size 3.5" hard drives. 3.5 drives have a 12 volt requirement.

That's why I think the HC4 is a good deal. It's an integrated drive dock (with SATA ports), the SBC itself, a case, and a PS (15V, 4A) that will handle the Odriod and two drives, all in one. Using nearly any other SBC, it would be difficult to impossible to assemble all of the components needed to create something like the HC4 package for $65 USD for the model without the display. With components coming from different sources, the postage alone might break the budget.

• When when putting the Backup into the same Server as the Original risk of a common mode failure.

And if you think about it most failures will effect of the original and the backup.

Furthermore you must make sure that old copies of your data are archived.

Imagine you accidentally delete files.

After the next Backup the Backup drive will be synchronised to that otherwise.

If your data is valuable to you, you must have a offsite Backup.

An alternative could be an external drive and not all of them are smr (which would be fine for me for backup anyway). Then you must make sure that you manually connect the drive to your server and the power when the backup is run.

Otherwise Malware or a power surge can kill the original and the backup at the same time

Greetings,

Hendrik

• went from "Supported" to "Not Supported".

Oh, I thought once all the firmware tweaks were figured out for a board it was permanently supported. I guess not.:huh:

I'm not meaning to stir the Irish pot, here, but do you think the English are responsible for the lock down?

Maybe not the lock down. Brexit yes... lock down no.;)

That's why I think the HC4 is a good deal.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I got the microSD card. I managed to find the "Trunk" build of Armbian for the HC4:

https://users.armbian.com/igorp/images/odroidhc4/archive/

I did a quick test install of that. Then I had second thoughts.

I figured this is beta software. I don't want my NAS data getting corrupted!

So I tried the Debian netboot install. Had second thoughts about that too!

With Armbian there are some tweaks like /var/log is on /dev/zram0. That's great for prolonging the life of the microSD card. Debian doesn't have that (not out of the box anyway). I'm sure some one skilled enough could configure Debian with /dev/zram partitons but I'm not sure I can.

So I'm trying to decide: Debian or trunk Armbian?:/

Another thing, where is that Odroid netboot Debain coming from? Armbian's source code is on Github. Where is the Odroid neboot Debian's?

• Offizieller Beitrag

With Armbian there are some tweaks like /var/log is on /dev/zram0. That's great for prolonging the life of the microSD card. Debian doesn't have that (not out of the box anyway). I'm sure some one skilled enough could configure Debian with /dev/zram partitons but I'm not sure I can.

So I'm trying to decide: Debian or trunk Armbian? :/

If you install OMV, it won't matter either way. The flashmemory plugin is installed, by default, when the OMV install script runs. The plugin is an implementation to folder2ram which works quite well. If you get a good card, SanDisk or Samsung, it will be protected and should last a long time.

I've had other implementations of Debian, such as DietPi, burn an SD-card into read-only. (And it was fairly quick - 9 months or so.) With a good card, that hasn't happened with OMV installed.

• Another thing, where is that Odroid netboot Debain coming from? Armbian's source code is on Github. Where is the Odroid neboot Debian's?

The Neboot Installer for ODROID-HC4 is the version I've customized with the Linux kernel for ODROID N2/C4/HC4 and the packages are from both http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ which is the official Debian package server and http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr which is mine. Most packages are coming from Debian server while mine provide the Linux kernel packages (currently providing 5.9) and ODROID specific featured packages.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!