UEFI or Legacy installation on Supermicro X9DRH-7F

• Hi

So my boot drives finally arrived heavily delayed from Amazon, for my new (and first) home server/nas build centered around an old Supermicro X9DRH-7F.

I will be trying to install the OS on a mirrored ZFS pool as described here and so I'll first install Debian server and then OVM on top.

As far as I understand from messing around in the BIOS I have the option of either doing a UEFI or legacy BIOS install? but I have no clue which to chose?

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance!

• votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • By the way, reading the system requirements section of the guide I just linked to, it's stated that for 4Kn drives, UEFI is mandatory.

My intended OS drives are 2x Sandisk Plus 240GB SSD's and I do not know if they fall within this category of drives.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von lotsofbytes ()

• I would recommend the UEFI installation simply because it is state of the art.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• So now it's done and I have debian server running on a mirrored zpool. Next up is to install OWM...

Everything went pretty smoothly except for one critical mistake when copying EFI from one drive to the other. Partly because of a somewhat unclear guide and part because of my own ignorance. If anyone else will attempt this, let me know and I can potentially save you approx. 45 min of rework...

Why do you want to do this?

Well, zfs mainly because of it's excellent snapshot and self-healing capabilities and mirrored zpool because I have had the unpleasant experience of an OS SSD crashing on me.

With the stuff I will install on this server my family and I will become quite dependent on it in our daily lives and and so if installing the OS on a mirrored zpool can improve uptime, it's definitely worth the extra 35€ on a extra SSD.

Besides that it seems to be considered good practice on both FreeNAS and Proxmox if that counts for anything...

I'm curious about this as well.

Curious about why my choice or curious about attempting it yourself?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Curious about why my choice or curious about attempting it yourself?

I'm running a zmirror (ZFS), for data, but I can't think of a reason for running ZFS on a server boot drive. It's far easier to copy or clone the drive off to the side (can be automated) and, in the event that a software update goes bad or some other problem with hardware or software, restore the drive.

I've been booting OMV with USB thumbdrives for years. I have yet to have a thumbdrive fail but if it did, I have a clone sitting on top of the case. Insert, boot up, done.

I have used a clone to recover from a software update (a server add-on) that went south.

• I've been booting OMV with USB thumbdrives for years. I have yet to have a thumbdrive fail but if it did, I have a clone sitting on top of the case. Insert, boot up, done.

Yeah, I see your point and running the OS on a mirrored zpool might be overkill. But it have been a good learning opportunity and now I can really appreciate it the next time I install an OS in like 10 clicks or so :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!