Will OMV work when using a RPI as a WAP

• Hi,

Firstly apologies if this has been discussed before but I could not find an answer to my question using the search bar.

Can OMV be run on an RPI that is not connected to a external network?

What i'm tryin to achieve is to setup a wirless file sharing device for my team. We work in remote locations that have no internet access or any network what so ever but we need to be able to upload/download files from a single source. Our current method is to simply pass an external SSD around the office which is a pain when mulitple people need access to it at the same time. Neither my team or I are overly technical so we need an easy to use solution. My reaserch has led me to OMV and it looks perfect except I'm unsure if it will work for the setup i'm thinking about. What I would like to do is setup a RPI as a WAP and run OMV on it. Is this possible?

TIA

• OK, so I have managed to setup OMV on my Pi and have it working when connected to my home wifi but I have run into an issue with setting up the Pi as a WAP. I'm trying to follow this guide here but on the step to edit the dhcpcd.conf i'm confronted by a message from OMV:

# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)

# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Better use netplan.io or systemd-networkd to configure additional interface stanzas.

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:

source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

As i'm blindly following the guide i'm now stuck as what to do next. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? TIA

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV uses netplan. So, instead of editing interfaces, just add a static IP for the wlan0 interface in the OMV web interface.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So instead of following any of that guide I can just set it up the Pi as a WAP via the OMV web interface? Apologies if that is a dumb question but as you can undoubtedly tell, I'm in way over my head lol

EDIT - Forgot to mention I used the install script for the OMV install, if that makes any difference?

• No, I mean wireless access point. I need the Pi to be able to share files via WiFi even when there is no home or office network so I'm trying to set up the pi to emit its own WiFi signal

• Try this:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Or attach the Pi with a LAN cable to a WLAN accespoint/Router and connect the wlan Clients over the WLAN Access Point to the Pi. This will be much more stable than the WLAN from the Pi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So instead of following any of that guide I can just set it up the Pi as a WAP via the OMV web interface? Apologies if that is a dumb question but as you can undoubtedly tell, I'm in way over my head lol

No. You can literally just replace the /etc/network/interfaces part of the guide with setting a static IP in the web interface.

Maybe it would be easier to just connect the pi to a router that can act as a WAP? Something very tiny like this would work - https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Something very tiny like this would work - https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gaz_B The above item may solve a few networking related issues you might not have run into yet, like setting up a DHCP server for mobile (laptop) clients.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!