VNC Connection fails in OMV 5.5.17-3

• Hello everybody,

I just moved from QNAP TS-212 to a NAS DIY; Fractal Node 304, Gigabyte 450, Ryzen 5 3600G, 16GB Ram and 5x 3,5" disks, and 1x ssd 128 for Virtual Machine.JBOD.

Sabrent SSD NVME with Windows 10 in dualboot with Linuxmint to access ext4 in case of disaster.

While I was still testing OMV vs Truenas, I created Linux Wirtual Machine. With Truenas I could access to virtual machine, just using tighvnc, machine ip and port. With OMV no chance to conenct from another unit tight vnc. OMV server ip 192.168.1.228

linux virtual machine 192.168.1.200 port 5901

My desktop pc 192.168.1.50

How can I conenct form my desktop pc to any virtual machines running od OMV Server?

Thanks and ciao,

Fabio:)

Fractal Node 304, Gigabyte B450, Ryzen 5 3600G, 16GB Ram and 5x 3,5" disks, and 1x ssd 128 for Virtual Machine.JBOD.

Sabrent SSD NVME with Windows 10 in dualboot with Linuxmint to access ext4 in case of disaster.

• Enabling VNC on existing KVM instances

Enabling VNC after using virt-install

Adjusting VNC console access via libvirt XML

If you read these 3 links in this order, you'll figure it out. The key is using virsh edit <name of your VM> in the SSH terminal and then finding the <graphics> section where VNC access is defined.

For example, mine looks like this:

Code
        <graphics type='vnc' port='15943' autoport='no' listen='192.168.1.100'>
          <listen type='address' address='192.168.1.100'/>
        </graphics>

This lets me connect to the VM using TightVNC on the given IP and port (the IP is my OMV server's IP).

Edit: Make sure to shut down your VM first, edit the XML config, then restart the VM.

• Hi Cubemin,

thanks. I'll try your suggestion. Having 2 different VM, how can I connect to one or the other?

One more question: in my pool I have 1x ssd and I would like to use it to install Virtual Machines. Ho can I setup the path of virtual machine?

Really Thanks!

Ciao

Fabio

Fractal Node 304, Gigabyte B450, Ryzen 5 3600G, 16GB Ram and 5x 3,5" disks, and 1x ssd 128 for Virtual Machine.JBOD.

• For two VMs, I would simply give each one a different port number. You'd still connect to the same IP, but this way you could choose which VM to connect to.

Also while in the Cockpit GUI, look for the storage pool menu... there, you can set a folder of your choice (i.e. one that's located on the SSD) as the storage pool, then define a virtual harddisk file within that pool for the VM to run from. I don't recall the exact steps at the moment, but if you need more help, let me know.

Pleasure to help :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!