Not Notified SMART Error. What I have to do?

• Hi everyone!

Today I have updated my OMV server and do some controls in the OMV WebGUI and I notice that one disk of my RAID1 array is marked as RED in the SMART Panel.

I leave some screenshots and the output of smartctl-x for that drive.

My Storage work like this:

RAID1 -- Mirror Array real-time synced using Syncthing with my devices

BACKUP -- Backup Drive to do versioned-incremental backup of the RAID1 array via an rsync script.

The system didn't send me an e-mail with the SMART error so I don't know when this error happen. Could this be an issue? Are my DATA safe?

What I have to do? I have bought a new drive to replace the red one. This is enough?

• If you have a backup you should not worry too much.

The drive has reallocated sectors and this is potentially dangerous. The drive could survive for some time, but it's still better to replace it.

You could also consider HDSentinel for Linux. I've set it to send me an email every Sunday. It produces a nice report and exitates the life of the drive.

It's just another safety measure but it only runs when invoked so it's still good to keep OMV SMART monitoring enabled.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• I have replaced the drive yesterday rebuilding the RAID1 array. The fact that the old drive had reallocated sectors could potentially have dameged data also in the other drive of the RAID1 array?

Thank's for the advice on HDSentinel for Linux! I will set it up soon for sure.

• If the sectors were successfully relocated, the data was not lost.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• So I suppose it's everything ok because the "Relocated Sectors Count" S.M.A.R.T. attribute implicitly means "Successfully Relocated Sectors Count" or I'm wrong?Sorry for the question but I'm not an expert, I try to browse with google but I don't understand very well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!