Good way to set up shared folders for home usage?

• With no prior experience as far as setting up computer network drives, I recently installed OMV5 on a RPi4B and have it working fine (hooray!). I have thus far only done simple things with it to test it out, e.g. created a shared folder and was able to read/write to it from various other computers on my home WiFi network via SMB/CIFS.

What I would like to try next is set up two shared folders as follows:

• Documents: only I can read/write on this one...for things like banking, taxes, etc.
    • Media: only I can write to this one, but anybody on the home network can read from it, with no password required...for movies, music, family photos, etc.

After looking in to the various ways to allow/restrict access, I must admit I am confused about users, groups, permissions/privileges, etc. I was considering setting up both folders to be accessible to me via NFS, and then make only the "Media" folder accessible to anyone on the network to read via SMB/CIFS, but I suspect this is not the best approach (and maybe not even good at all).

It seems like this would be a common type of use for a NAS, so I am wondering can anyone can suggest a good/better way to go about this? Thanks!

Oh, people in the house will be using Windows computers, Chromebooks, Apple phones/pads, and a Linux/Ubuntu PC.

Note: I apologize if this is the wrong place within the forum for this question/discussion. I really did look around first and did not just randomly post it here. Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!