Fresh install on RPi4 - same error after second fresh install

• Hello Everyone,

Can you please help me with the following issue: bought a new RPi4 only for using it as OMV with a single 1T HDD (for now). Installed OMV5 according to the official user manual (followed every single step carefully). Updated, attached a newly formatted HDD. First two days, works like a charm. 3rd day I notice that when I log into the webgui, system information is empty. Posted here under the 'system information empty' thread, but no reply after couple of weeks. File transfer on LAN to the HDD works without any issue, but can't do anything in the OMV - can't save anything, since the 'apply' thing does not pop up at all, and when I try to check for updates, an error pops up. Same if I try to update through SSH. Reinstalled the whole thing, from the very first step. After 1 week, same thing happened. I shut the system down every night. Here's the error I receive if I just simply want to check for updates:

Please let me know if there's anything I can try. I would really want this to work properly as I want to try various extras and plugins, but I just am unable to move forward and am very frustrated because I have no clue why this error pops up on a fresh install (brand new pi, brand new HDD). Thank you.

• hannlec

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Fresh install on RPi4 - same error after third install“ zu „Fresh install on RPi4 - same error after second fresh install“ geändert.
  • Hi! I don't mean to rush any replies, but I was just wondering whether I was clear in the description of the problem. Would anyone be able to at least streer me into the good direction? What might be the issue? Should I do something about the status file? Should I search for the error lines separately? Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you logging into the web interface with the admin user? Screenshot of what the logged in screen looks like if you are. Did you use a new SD card?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron - Yes, I'm logging into the web UI with admin account. Yes, I used a brand new SD card. Tested it with the software in the official installation guide. The screenshot is above.

macom - Yes, I tried it through ssh. I received the same error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try:

apt-get -f install

omv-aptclean

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try the second command along with

apt-get purge unzip

• Sorry, but by along you mean I should just put in: sudo omv-aptclean apt-get purge unzip? If yes, this is what I received. Or is there some sort of symbol or code I should use to tell it that the two commands should run together/after each other? (Sorry if this is a very rookie question, just want to make sure.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, but by along you mean I should just put in: sudo omv-aptclean apt-get purge unzip? If yes, this is what I received. Or is there some sort of symbol or code I should use to tell it that the two commands should run together/after each other? (Sorry if this is a very rookie question, just want to make sure.)

No, I just meant as a separate command. I will be more precise.

What is the output of: sudo dpkg -P unzip

• I was searching for the "parsing status file" error and in some forum there was a suggestion for a user having the same error to use a status file from status-old. I checked the directory in question and it seems that I also have a status-old folder. Should I maybe try to use an old status file somehow? Sorry if this is not a good idea, I'm relatively new to the command line, and very new to OMV. (I've been using MX Linux for 2,5 years now, but never really had any issue so I didn't get command line experience.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is tricky to fix. Try:

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/status /var/lib/dpkg/status.old

sudo cp /var/backups/dpkg.status.0 /var/lib/dpkg/status

sudo apt-get update

sudo dpkg -P unzip

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been using MX Linux for 2,5 years now, but never really had any issue so I didn't get command line experience.)

I've used Debian and Ubuntu for 15+ years and never had this issue with dpkg status file.

• ryecoaaron, do you think I should try the installation with a new SD card? I'm a beginner, really, but I just can't think of anything else to try. I have an unboxed 32 gb Sandisk SD card, so tomorrow I can try a completely new installation just to see whether the error would pop up with a different SD card as well. If no, then I guess the brand new SD card I got with the RPi kit is corrupted (although I tested it with the sd card tester), and if yes, then at least we would know that it's not the SD card. I can try this first thing tomorrow.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Note: cut&pasting that output is much easier for me to view

About the only thing you can do is edit the status file. Assuming you don't use vim, so try nano. cut and paste the line and few lines above and below if you can't tell what to fix.

sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status.old /var/lib/dpkg/status

sudo nano /var/lib/dpkg/status

# hit ctrl-shift - (yes, that is ctrl-shift-dash) to go to 14922

# fix blank line (not sure what it will look like.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is what my unzip lines look like

• ryecoaaron - Sorry, from now on, I'll be copying and pasting the outputs as text (actually, I didn't know that ctrl+c worked in the CLI as well. Yes, I konw...).

So I open the file in nano and went to line 14922. It looks really strange after "Multi-Arcc55". In the first couple of lines you can find some meaningful words, but after that it all seems to be gibberish:

The three lines with the comment marks right in the middle of the unzip package don't seem to be (to me at least) on a good place. Also, it says that it is a cache directory tag. This is strange. Why would be a cache directory in the status file and within that in the "middle" of a description of a package? Is this normal?

I'm not sure what to do now. I would gladly delete this nonsense, but the thing is that it's like this until the very end of the file.
    ----------------------
    Okay, so I was curious and went and checked the status-old file with nano and that one seems to be okay. It looks like this:

This looks very similar to yours, ryecoaaron. I think at this point I should copy the "normal-looking" lines from status.old to status, but my problem is that the status file seems to be broken from line 14922 so basically I would need to copy everything from that line from status.old. I'm not sure how I can do that because I can only highlight one full "page" from status.old at a time. I checked and there are about 1000 lines I should copy. I'll try to copy everything from status.old line 14922 until its end into a simple text file first and then copy it from the text file to status.

-----------------------

Okay, so I just finished doing what I described above (I checked the user manual of nano and I found some shortcuts which made it easier and faster). Double checked the status file, especially the unzip package. Everything looked okay. Rebooted. Checked the status file once again. It seemed okay. Then I tried sudo apt-get update. This is what I received:

This seems to be a very similar error to the initial one. Also, do you have any ideas about those line which start with "File "/usr"?
    Any ideas about what to do now? Thank you in advance.

---------------

Oh, and one more thing: after I received the error above, I checked the status file with nano again. And it looks absolutely fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!