Hardware upgrade?

• Dear all,

I have a dilemma with my current hardware setup and I would like to know your opinion, if possible. :)

Currently I'm using a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT that is equipped with i5-4570s, 8GB RAM, a 64GB SSD for OMV and 2TB and 4 TB hard drives (using the cd rom disk caddy). I'm very happy with this setup as the performance and power consumption are fine according to my needs.

But my media collection is growing and I'm running our of space on my media drives (2TB+4TB). The EliteDesk uses 2.5" hard drives and due to the current available storage options on 2.5" (max. 5TB) and the physical space available (limited to 7 mm, I managed to fit the bigger 4TB drive in the caddy).

Should I just add an external 3.5" hard drive to the setup or replace the EliteDesk with another solution that offers more storage options??

I was looking into SSD's, as they comply with the 7mm requirement, but they are expensive and the storage increase would only be marginal.

Thanks!

Best regards

• As your computer has "USB 3.0 - 2 (front) 2 (rear)" I'd go with an external 3.5 '' HDD enclosure with 2 or 4 bays from a brand manufacturer like the one in my signature.

This is very easy to accomplish, in case you are a "maker" putting the computer into another larger case with max 4 disk bay could be another option.

Note: be aware that due to the custom form factor of this computer it could turn out to be not feasible!

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!