New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just have a disk capacity 1 gb, although I think I went for 80gb

I don't know how it could create a 1 GB disk if you specified 80. All I can think is you changed it to 80 in a previous attempt.

In the meantime just wondering how to edit a VM?

What do you want to edit? The Devices menu is where you edit the most common things.

Right now I cannot even delete the pool because I am getting communication failure!

If the pool is in use (powered VM using it), you can't delete it.

and the whole omv is stuck

For sure I am doing something wrong?

Yes or your system isn't stable.

After emergency reboot pool is active but my vm got no disk (n/a) How can I correct it

What kind of storage are you creating the pool from? I have no idea how you were able to create a VM but have no disk.

second try now I got the disk and the iso in the optical but nothing at my ip:5901 or my ip5900

Using a console or viewer or?? You need to provide more steps on how you are getting into all these weird situations. I haven't had any of these issues and I have created a lot of VMs over and over.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well of course something I don't get since the disk is 83 GB ( see Pict)

Not sure what you are showing me.

regarding the instability I am getting after few hours

I switched my main server at home from proxmox to OMV/kvm plugin. It is running perfect. So, if you are getting instability, it is likely your system since the plugin is just telling libvirt to do things.

witch is probably not related should I open a new thread regarding this issue?

Please do. I'm not sure what is wrong but there isn't much the plugin can do to make a system unstable. VMs could do that but hard to fix that if the system can't handle them.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ryecoaaron can copy / paste work between guest and novnc/spice browser window?

It works with the Krusader file manager container (hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-krusader) I have running, very interested if any guest vm could have this feature also.

• Offizieller Beitrag

can copy / paste work between guest and novnc/spice browser window?

I don't know. Try it. I only use the consoles for setting up the OS. After that, I use ssh or native rdp of the guest. I was able to drag a file from my laptop (running Linux) to the guest via the spice console in the browser. cut&paste didn't seem to work but maybe there is something that can be done to get it to work. Feel free to research that. I don't think I can do anything with the plugin to enable any more features.

• Hi

it's a pity that we cannot have more features for the plugin

i was thinking for a backup/restore option and a clone option this would be awesome

but still this is the best plugin for me

• ryecoaaron

Can't delete vm's from kvm plugin with spaces in name.

It appears a vm with spaces in the name needs to be encapsulated.

Code
    virsh undefine --domain Any Boot CD_DVD
    error: unexpected data 'CD_DVD'
    [root@naso ~]# virsh undefine --domain 'Any Boot CD_DVD'
    Domain Any Boot CD_DVD has been undefined

Had a thought the other day (and I don't have many ha), what is this kvm plugin going to be like in 12 months time?

PS Luvin the kvm plugin & OMV so far. Plugin's just make for sooo much good laziness.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Edit the VM's XML file and remove the spaces from the name.

Then update the plugin (and you won't be allowed to put spaces in the name).

• Offizieller Beitrag

it's a pity that we cannot have more features for the plugin

Who said that? I haven't stopped adding features.

i was thinking for a backup/restore option and a clone option this would be awesome

I have mentioned adding backup/restore a few times. It is just a lot of work. I will have to look at cloning.

Got more issues sometime the VM shutoff in the middle of os install, after subsequent restart got an OS was not found!

There really must be something wrong with your system. I am using the plugin on real VMs a lot now and haven't seen any issues especially like that one.

It appears a vm with spaces in the name needs to be encapsulated.

VM names with spaces are not valid. The plugin doesn't allow names with spaces and neither does virt-manager or virsh.

• hello,

first of all @ryecoaaron thanks for this great plugin. It seems it is exactly what i'm looking for. I switched for Proxmox with freenas-VM to openmediavault with this plugin.

Sadly I'm not able to access VMs I create. For me would be a network bridge for VMs the best solution. But I tried every provided networking option.

Whatever I try there is nothing I can access. With noVNC I always get network erros.

I suppose that has something to do with an DNS error i got after installing omv-extras. But I fix that so i'm not sure.

Had someone similar problems or an idea what i can try?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suppose that has something to do with an DNS error i got after installing omv-extras. But I fix that so i'm not sure.

At the OMV server, have you tried 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 as a DNS server? (This bypasses your router and ISP.)

Sadly I'm not able to access VMs I create.

This could have something to do with the client and it's firewall. Have you tried a -> VNC client?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sadly I'm not able to access VMs I create. For me would be a network bridge for VMs the best solution. But I tried every provided networking option.

Without knowing the setup, it is hard to help. macvtap is what I recommend. If your VM uses dhcp, it should be on the same network as the OMV host itself.

omv-extras doesn't change anything related to networking. So, you might have noticed the dns error when installing omv-extras but omv-extras didn't cause it.

Had someone similar problems or an idea what i can try?

We need to know the exact steps you used to create the VM and then access it.

• hi i have a live backup script for you it works 100% on my OMV5

with time stamps and backups xml file
    based on Virsh

(script not made by me)

• Offizieller Beitrag

i i have a live backup script for you it works 100% on my OMV5

Looks similar to the scripts I have been looking at it but maybe I bit simpler. I will check it out.

• for cloning a vm in the CLI the command is

virt-clone --original debian --auto-clone

where "debian" stands for the vm name

and first shutdown the VM

it will clone the vm disk

and change the mac address of the network card

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, I am familiar with cloning VMs from the command line. Translating that to a plugin action is bit more complicated. virt-clone also will not clone a running VM.

• At the OMV server, have you tried 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 as a DNS server? (This bypasses your router and ISP.)

No, I tried my pi-hole's IP which worked. But on another thread I was advised to not do that. Not sure why but it won't hurt.

This could have something to do with the client and it's firewall. Have you tried a -> VNC client?

I also did not try that. Problem is since I was not able to find the VM's IP I dont know to which IP I should connect.

• Without knowing the setup, it is hard to help. macvtap is what I recommend. If your VM uses dhcp, it should be on the same network as the OMV host itself.

Sorry, what do you mean by setup? I have a about 8 year old xenon CPU and 32GB of RAM. My chosen OS is a minimal headless Debian on which I installed omv on top.

Also I use the Docker plugin.

I want two VMs one for smart home stuff and one for a minimal k3s cluster.

When I had proxmox or virtualbox I always used bridge I think. Host only is not an option since I want to access the VMs from all my devices. When I'm correctly informed macvtab has the disadvantage that I'm not able to access the VMs from the host system. So when communication between my containers and VMs would not be possible.

omv-extras doesn't change anything related to networking. So, you might have noticed the dns error when installing omv-extras but omv-extras didn't cause it.

I did not say that. At least I didn't want to. Fact is that everything worked fine. Then I installed extras and after that I was not able to resolve DNS.
    I have no idea why but I was able to fix that by putting my pi-hole's IP in resolve.conf. Not sure if this is the right was to fix it but it works so far. In another thread i was ask to not use pihole for omv so I will change it to something else.

We need to know the exact steps you used to create the VM and then access it.

I will try it again and document it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!