New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tell me how to remove the audio card from the virtual machine that I added earlier through the omv GUI to return it to the host?

Either remove it by editing the xml or use virt-manager.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

how can i use virt-manager if omv doesn't have desktop version?

virt-manager can run on any system running Linux (maybe other ways with Windows but I don't know) and connect to libvirtd running on OMV. I do it every day.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• virt-manager can run on any system running Linux (maybe other ways with Windows but I don't know) and connect to libvirtd running on OMV. I do it every day.

yes thanks, I was able to connect remotely via

Code
    virt-manager -c qemu+ssh://user@192.168.1.131/system
  • how can i use virt-manager if omv doesn't have desktop version?

Hi! plz google this - virt-manager and Xming(virtmanager throught ssh)

OMV 6.
    Motherboard: Intel DP55WG
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Black WD5000LPSX - system
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10
    500GB SSD x2 - RAID 1 for VM's and Docker containers

• Thank you so much for all of the hard work with this plugin! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

I followed the guide to create a windows 10 instance. I am using an old rack-mounted server from my former employer and it has 2 network cards. I deleted the interface for the 2nd card as per the instructions and created a bridge with the same IP address.

I continued to follow the directions to and was able to get the VM running. I added a second ISO to populate the drivers and this solved many of my problems. My current issue is that I have the "Unidentified network" when I remote into the VM. I found solutions to many of my other questions in other forums but I thought that I would post this question here as it might be related to the network setup in ovm 5.

I have tried all of the usual windows tricks to get this to work - running the troubleshooting tool, renewing IPconfig, winsock, etc. The problem appears to be somewhere else, I think. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because it is a Windows VM and you added a virtio network adapter, Windows needs virtio drivers. That is why there is a "Download virtio iso" button on the Pools tab. This has the drivers you need if you attach it to the VM.

• Because it is a Windows VM and you added a virtio network adapter, Windows needs virtio drivers. That is why there is a "Download virtio iso" button on the Pools tab. This has the drivers you need if you attach it to the VM.

Thank you for the response. Yeah, I came to that realization well before this when my pool didn't show up in windows during installation. I googled the error and then came across the virtio iso on another forum. That was enough to get me to where I am now.

That said, the "download" button is greyed out in my pool tab. Is it possible I have the wrong driver? I have a Red Hat network driver.

UPDATE

I deleted the virtio iso that I had found online and downloaded through the UI - it looks like it was the same disk. I deleted and re-added the driver from this iso - same result. I ran the windows troubleshooter - it was not able to fix the issue.

I can't ping the router or the host.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the "download" button is greyed out in my pool tab

You have to select a pool to download it to.

I ran the windows troubleshooter - it was not able to fix the issue.

That is windows stuff. Not my specialty.

• You have to select a pool to download it to.

That is windows stuff. Not my specialty.

Thank you again for the response. I did update my post as you were responding with more information - I was able to get the pool loaded (it turns out I had the right iso already).

From within the windows vm I can't ping my router or the host. Does that tell us anything? I set up the bridge as per the guide and that bridge is selected as the only network in the kvm settings.

• Thank you again for the response. I did update my post as you were responding with more information - I was able to get the pool loaded (it turns out I had the right iso already).

From within the windows vm I can't ping my router or the host. Does that tell us anything? I set up the bridge as per the guide and that bridge is selected as the only network in the kvm settings.

I thought I would post something here in case someone else had the same issue. I let this go for a few days and then I decided I would come back here and post something in the general forum. As luck would have it, it is now working for some reason. I don't really know what changed to make it work. I did re-apply the drivers ISO and refreshed the adapters several times in device manager. I also had the windows network set to be dhcp, although I have since made it static and that is working fine.

• Can someone point me in the right direction for getting USB to work? I was able to get a windows 10 vm created and running. Earlier in this forum there were mentions of USB working but I haven't yet found a way to add it in the admin console. Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can someone point me in the right direction for getting USB to work? I was able to get a windows 10 vm created and running. Earlier in this forum there were mentions of USB working but I haven't yet found a way to add it in the admin console. Thanks!

What do you mean? What are you trying to do with usb? Did you install the virtio drivers?

• What do you mean? What are you trying to do with usb? Did you install the virtio drivers

Ah, I had updated drivers using that disk but I had not run the actual program. I now have the following:

However, I do not have any usb options in "My Computer". I have two thumb drives plugged in to my server but nothing shows in the Windows vm. Last year when I was using OMV4 / Virtualbox this worked fine. What threw me off a bit is that in the virtualbox I could see USB in the admin console so I was expecting to see that in this admin panel.

• I figured out the problem. In my original post I had assumed that I needed to add the USB somewhere. I did not realize that there is a spot for the plugin on the main admin page of OMV and the usb needs to be added there and not the cockpit admin console.

• i have a feature request for the vm backup schedule. As i'm running several vms, it is difficult to time the backups with hours and minutes. So it would be great to have some sequential approach like: start VM2 script only, if VM1 script has finished, because if the backups are overlapping, the IO is going down because of hardware limits

• Offizieller Beitrag

i have a feature request for the vm backup schedule. As i'm running several vms, it is difficult to time the backups with hours and minutes. So it would be great to have some sequential approach like: start VM2 script only, if VM1 script has finished, because if the backups are overlapping, the IO is going down because of hardware limits

That is a very large change from how it works now. Is there a reason you can't just schedule one every hour or something? This is what I am doing for my many VMs.

• perhaps it's a lack of understanding on my side....how do you prevent that your many vms not run at the same time?

I've just backed up 100 GB nd it took almost an hour.....

so if i calculate 1 hour for ten vms, i have ten hours, which could be only 3 hours in realtime and the 1 hour approach has 7 hours "slacktime", because other vms need less time.

An other solution would be a access option to some logging files, so i can calculate the whole timing

• Offizieller Beitrag

how do you prevent that your many vms not run at the same time?

Some of my backups do run at the same time. It just slows down the backup. Since my VMs are running on nvme and being backed up to a single spinning disk, I don't worry about the throughput slowing down anything.

I will look to see what it takes to run them sequentially but it would have to be simple - all VMs not selectable number of VMs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!