Need to Grow RAID - Opinions? Experience?

• I currently use OMV for my NAS at the house.

My system has Two 2TB HDD in a RAID 1 configuration. I need to grow my RAID and I am thinking about adding Two 4TB HDD to the RAID, assuming that that would leave me with roughly 6TB of mirrored storage.

My question is, will I have issues adding disks that are larger than I currently have installed?

Also, if you have any suggestions about how best to move forward with this expansion, please let me know. I am making a full backup of my 2TB of data before starting the upgrade, just in case I have some issues, but I want to hear back from the community before I take any major steps .

Thank you in advance,

Check out my photography at Fluffyshotme.com

• With LVM you would be. But I don't like it and there are other pooling solutions that we support via Plugins. May someone else suggest you something ...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The aufs plugin would work perfect for that.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Basically, I have my filesystem set up the way I want it, but it is now growing past the size of my 2TB RAID. I need to figure out what the best solution is going to be to expand, hopefully without changing the filesystem.

I am a photographer who uses OMV as my NAS for storing my pictures. As I continue to grow, I need to be able to scale my storage. When I built it, 2TB seemed like a lot... Now, I am starting to see that I am going to run out of room soon.

I appreciate everyone's input. I will look at aufs and check it out.

• Hmm... You use a RAID1. Aren't you afraid to delete fotos by mistake? If you do, they will be deleted on both drives. I would suggest you to think about it, if not synching files with rsync may be better solution over RAID1.

Our Team meber Dennis is a photographer too, and thats the way how he secures his photos. Especcially against accidental deletion.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I keep backups of my RAW images, so if it gets deleted, I can restore them. I have some external hard drives as well as cloud storage for backups. The problem with cloud storage is that I am about to move into a new pricing tier with my storage needs, so I may have to start being more selective with what I backup online. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Gemeinschaft"

I keep backups of my RAW images, so if it gets deleted, I can restore them. I have some external hard drives as well as cloud storage for backups. The problem with cloud storage is that I am about to move into a new pricing tier with my storage needs, so I may have to start being more selective with what I backup online. :(

Actually, I prefer rsync to raid1 as well. Setting up some automatic jobs to sync "Drive A" to "Drive B" is really pretty simple. As a safety net, don't set the sync job to automatically delete. Then every so often, log in to the webUI, set the job to delete anything not on the source, run the job manually, then disable the delete function again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!