Automounting Powered External HDs by Default as Well as Hot Plugged Drives

• I read the guide mentioned here:

External USB HDD not automounting

and I think I can follow it, but I think what happens is that the RPi will automount connected drives when it boots. Also, every drive has to be identified and written in the configurations.

Is there an easy way to automount any and all drives, and automount after booting and when a drive that's been disconnected or turned off is reconnected or turned on?

The only devices that I think can do these are some commercially sold NASes, but they're expensive, and OSes like Windows and others, but they can't operate headless in the sense that monitors and keyboards have to be connected if they need to be rebooted.

• Thank you. I use some units of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mediaso…A-Enclosure/dp/B003X26VV4

But I'm not sure the cause is hardware. Whenever I connect a drive enclosure to a Windows PC and turn it on, the drive is automatically mounted and I can see it in the file explorer. For OMV, however, the drive has to be mounted manually.

Someone suggested here:

https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/733

but the idea was turned down because it went against the philosophy of OMV: shared folders must be available to users all of the time. That means hard drives containing the folders must always be turned on, and with that no automounting feature is necessary.

My understanding is that the only way to activate automounting is to do it with the operating system and right after the system boots. But every drive that has to be mounted automatically must be indicated in the configuration file. That means any new drive attached has to be added, too.

Finally, I think the drive is automatically mounted only after the device is booted. Any device connected after still has to be mounted manually.

OMV in RPi is the best option for me because it is cheap and can be run headless. A mini PC with Windows can do what I want but is more expensive, and if it has to be booted, it won't run unless a monitor and keyboard are connected.

A NAS with a customized operating system can automount headless but they are expensive. The cheapest ones are outdated, and the next ones are as expensive as a mini PC set.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea, what your goal is, but here is what the USB backup plugin does:

once it is configured it makes a backup of defined shared folders, when the USB drive is plugged in. After the backup is completed the filesystem is unmounted and the drive can be removed.

• I have a headless RPi and OMV with powered external hard drives contained shared folders attached. I have to turn off the drives daily when they are not in use. Is there a way to automount them when they're turned on?

• I have to turn off the drives daily when they are not in use.

Instead of switch off the drives, set a proper spindown on them.

Don't recall by heart but I think it's on "Storage->Disk", and select the drive.

If there's no access to the drives, they'll be on standby.

• Thanks. I would like to avoid leaving the enclosures on (and they're used for only a third of each day) because even with a spin down or sleep mode the power bricks attached to them might not last that long, and it's a hassle and expensive to order replacements (something like a third of the price of the enclosure).

I found out recently that there are one-bay NAS devices with USB ports, and they can read and automount external enclosures, but they won't run unless there's one hard drive inside the NAS, which means the cost of the device plus the drive is around four times the price of an RPi kit, complete with the sd card, etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!