I get errors when i run a packages update

• If starting from 4.0.6 does not work for you, try starting a 4.0.17. If this does not work, start again from 5.0.0 (always copy the backup to /etc/openmedia/config.xml, before starting with a new initial version).

Any details about the error?

votdev Can you give a hint:

- Ghibli69 has a broken installation on a remote server, so a re-install is not possible.

- We have been able to get apt dependencies correct and currently omv 5.6.24 is installed (alongside openmediavault-usbbackup 4.0.5-1)

- Ghibli69 says, the system was not broken during a release upgrade, Not sure, where this all started.

- The config.xml is still from an old version, so migrations have to be run.

- I have not been able to identify from where to start the migrations.

Question: How can we identify what release the config.xml belongs to and where to start executing migrations?

Shall we remove to openmediavault-usbbackup before or after applying the migrations?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you remove (instead of purge) openmediavault-usbbackup, it won't remove the config.xml entries but it will stop causing other problems.

I think this would be much easier to fix with ssh access instead of forum back-and-forth. I would just change the config.xml things manually.

There is no way to determine what version the config.xml is from since it is not versioned. You might be able to tell by some elements.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Probably ryecoaaron is right. ssh access would make this much easier.

Your config.xml is definitly pre 5.0.0, so migration has to start with 5.0.0

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• If you remove (instead of purge) openmediavault-usbbackup, it won't remove the config.xml entries but it will stop causing other problems.

I think this would be much easier to fix with ssh access instead of forum back-and-forth. I would just change the config.xml things manually.

There is no way to determine what version the config.xml is from since it is not versioned. You might be able to tell by some elements.

This is the config.xml file, can this be useful?

• This is a different one from whatyou posted before. This one already has the renamces from 5.0.0, so start with the next one after it.

Or give someone ssh access to your server to do it for you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

if i can't restore xml config file, can i reinstall OMV from SSH?

If you can do a remote Debian mini install, you could then SSH the machine and install OMV on top of that.

I've never done it, so not sure if it's possible. Google's not showing much.

• Ghibli69 I asked you about ssh access on the weekend, but you did not see my message, in time

This week I am away from my omv, so I can not help to repair the config.xml (got no reference with me)

For anyone who wants to try:

• The update broke, but we were able to get most of the packages updated.
    • 1 package (I thing openmediavault-usbbackup) is still at 4 -> needs to be removed apt-get remove -f openmediavault-usbbackup, but check the package before (dpkg -l |grep openm)
    • The config.xml only got partially updated, so one has to fix the errors in the file manually or run the migrations one by one (they are here: ls -1 /usr/share/openmediavault/confdb/migrations.d | sort) omv-salt stage run deploy will show them
    • OP is not sure where he started the upgrade but claims to have startet a 5.x when all this started. config.xml has ( had ?) entries which should have been migrated by 5.0.0

For a complete re-install just apt-get purge openmediavault-plugins and openmediavault. maybe apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault will work too.

But be carefull that this does not reconfigure the network / sshd so you hook it off the network (server is remote). Allways kep a second ssh window open.

All above written by memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

• this is the output

root@Jarvis:~# dpkg -l |grep openm

ii openmediavault 5.6.24-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution

ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

ic openmediavault-usbbackup 4.0.5-1 all OpenMediaVault USB/eSATA backup plugin

but i can't uninstall usbbackup plugin

root@Jarvis:~# apt-get remove -f openmediavault-usbbackup

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Package 'openmediavault-usbbackup' is not installed, so not removed

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

how can i uninstall it?

• th state ic seems to indicate, that the package is marked for isntallation and it's config files are there, but the package can not be installed. As it is on an old version, a full install will not work. You can try to purge it completly (including the configs) dpkg --purge openmediavault-usbbackup

• I removed the usb backup plugin and tried to reinstall openmediavault but it gives error on Host name lookup failure, how can i fix it?

root@Jarvis:~# apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/1729 kB of archives.

After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

Preconfiguring packages ...

(Reading database ... 58444 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../openmediavault_5.6.24-1_all.deb ...

Unpacking openmediavault (5.6.24-1) over (5.6.24-1) ...

Setting up openmediavault (5.6.24-1) ...

Creating configuration database ...

Migrating configuration database ...

Setting up Salt environment ...

[ERROR ] Exception during resolving address: [Errno 2] Host name lookup failure

Processing system modifications ...

Processing triggers for rsyslog (8.1901.0-1) ...

Processing triggers for openmediavault (5.6.24-1) ...

Restarting engine daemon ...

Monit: the monit HTTP interface is not enabled, please add the 'set httpd' statement and use the 'allow' option to allow monit to connect

Updating locale files ...

Updating file permissions ...

Purging internal cache ...

root@Jarvis:~#

• root@Jarvis:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf

# This file is managed by man:systemd-resolved(8). Do not edit.

#

# This is a dynamic resolv.conf file for connecting local clients directly to

# all known uplink DNS servers. This file lists all configured search domains.

#

# Third party programs must not access this file directly, but only through the

# symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a different way,

# replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.

#

# See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported modes of

# operation for /etc/resolv.conf.

# No DNS servers known.

root@Jarvis:~# ls -al /etc/resolv.conf

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Jan 20 11:25 /etc/resolv.conf -> /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf

root@Jarvis:~# systemctl status systemd-resolved.service

● systemd-resolved.service - Network Name Resolution

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service.d

└─resolvconf.conf

Active: active (running) since Thu 2022-01-20 14:46:05 CET; 4 days ago

Docs: man:systemd-resolved.service(8)

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/resolved

https://www.freedesktop.org/wi…rk-configuration-managers

https://www.freedesktop.org/wi…/writing-resolver-clients

Main PID: 446 (systemd-resolve)

Tasks: 1 (limit: 2339)

Memory: 2.1M

CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-resolved.service

└─446 /lib/systemd/systemd-resolved

• You need to configure the DNS. You have the option to try to run omv-firstaid which will reconfigure your whole network, having the risk to hook you off your remote server if you type something wrong, or to edit the systemd config files manually setting only the DNS.

Or someone knows by heart how to to it without interrupting the current ssh connection. (keep a second ssh terminal open, may help)

As I do not know which systemd-resolved config file omv changes. do a search for all the possible locations:

find /etc -xdev -name "*.network" -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \;

After the final install of omv you will haveto use omf-firstaid anyway to get a clean network config.

• Problem solved, the cause was the configuration of the network interface. Rerun the configuration of the network interface via omv-firstaid everything works correctly. Thanks everyone for the help.

• Lesson learned: Make sure, your installation is in a current state free of any apt errors before doing the omv-release-upgrade.

Glad you managed it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!