Issues with smb and permissions on fresh install of OMV 5

• I recently attempted to upgrade my omv4 I install to omv5. Things went sideways because of Plex, so I backed there data in my array up and decided to go with a fresh install of OMV5. Everything appeared to go fine. After the install, I mounted the array, created the shares, created a user account and assigned the groups and permissions. On my Windows 10 laptop I then mapped the share to a drive. I can browse the drive, but I cannot write or delete or anything other than read. Looking at the smb/cifs screen in the webui, the account is now locked and has read only access. Connecting to the share as root gives the same issue. The minute the I browse the share, regardless of account, the account gets read only and the files lock. I’ve triple checked permissions. I’ve even reinstalled omv5. I’m out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions before I attempt a fresh install of omv4 to see if this is just a weird omv5 thing?

• Here is what I see in the SMB/CIFS tab in Services when I connect to the drive share. The other odd thing about this is that it worked fine for the first 2 or 3 hours after the initial install. Once the behavior started though, it's persisted through full reinstalls of OMV 5.

• Can you tell us what are your settings in "Shared Folders" Privileges and ACL

Edit: Also in "User" what groups you are in and in Privileges did you check rw for all shares?

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• The ACL on the folder has my AngryM0nk3y account with Read/Write. The sambashare and users groups also have Read\Write. Also, the AngryM0nk3y account is a member of users, root, sudo, ssh, and sambashare.

• One more thing, in ACL did you check-in "Apply permissions to files and subfolders"?

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• I have not done that yet. There was an issue in the initial install of OMV5 where there were several non-existent accounts that were still owners of several of the files and folders. I used chown to change the owner ship to root\users.

• I have now tried resetting the acls to omv's default. Creating a new share for just the Temp folder on the array, giving my account permissions, mapping the drive, and browsing to the new drive. The same read-only issue pops up. I have installed the sharerootfs plugin to see if there was something wrong with the array. The problem persists on the root file system. I booted off a FedoraLive usb key, accessed the array, shared the array, mapped to it, and successfully copied and deleted files. It's just OMV that has an issue with the sharing of the files. I'm at a loss.

• I have now tried resetting the acls to omv's default. Creating a new share for just the Temp folder on the array, giving my account permissions, mapping the drive, and browsing to the new drive. The same read-only issue pops up. I have installed the sharerootfs plugin to see if there was something wrong with the array. The problem persists on the root file system. I booted off a FedoraLive usb key, accessed the array, shared the array, mapped to it, and successfully copied and deleted files. It's just OMV that has an issue with the sharing of the files. I'm at a loss.

As far as I am concern, you are doing everything right. My set-up is slightly different; I build separate unraid NAS with 8 HD's, 12 cifs/smb and 8 NFS shares and I do not have your issue now. I had something similar as yours when my OMV permissions were not set right, yours, seams to be correct.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the OMV GUI in << Access permissions >> - << Shared folders >> select your folder "openmediavault" then in the upper bar click on the button <<Privileges>> and in the window click on << Reading / write >> of the user line "AngryM0nk3y".

• The account was given the read\write permissions on the share right after I created it. It doesn't seem to care that the permissions are set for read\write. The minute I map the drive, it locks files and relegates me to RDONLY.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The account was given the read\write permissions on the share right after I created it. It doesn't seem to care that the permissions are set for read\write. The minute I map the drive, it locks files and relegates me to RDONLY.

In samba configuration it should reflect user permissions and it doesn't. That's why I said that you have to grant permissions to the user.

Anyway that image corresponds to the OMV6 GUI. I don't know what he's fighting anymore ...

what kind of array is your openmediavault folder mounted on?

• I installed OMV 6 last night just to see if I was running in to some sort of strange OMV 5 permissions issue. I can run install OMV 5 again, but the issue will follow me. I'll put OMV 5 back on, share the folder, create the account, and assign the permissions. I'd be willing to be money on the problem coming back up again. I'll do that and post the the cat of /etc/samba/smb.conf.

The array is a RAID 10 of 4 3TB WD REDS. I ran SMART short tests of all 4 drives, and the 128GB SSD that the OS is loaded on yesterday and they all came back good.

• Booted in to a livecd, formatted the 12gb SSD the OS gets installed to, formatted the drive, installed OMV 5, mounted the arry, created shares, created the user, enabled SMB/CIFS, added the share there. The minute I mapped to the share, the behavior showed up again. I've attached the output of the OMV 5 cat /etc/samba/smb.conf.

• Installed the software today and tried to connect from Windows 10 and Linux Debian 10 using SMB, no luck seems the OMV does not allow any connections. Will reformat my system to use TrueNAS, maybe OpenMediaVault can :cursing::thumbdown: better change name to OpenMediaFault.

• Installed the software today and tried to connect from Windows 10 and Linux Debian 10 using SMB, no luck seems the OMV does not allow any connections. Will reformat my system to use TrueNAS, maybe OpenMediaVault can :cursing::thumbdown: better change name to OpenMediaFault.

What are you trying to say: "I was not able to install and configure it properly despite others can?"

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Don't mistake your inability to learn Linux/networking with the quality of the software you use.

Good luck with truenas.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!