Can't install OMV after apt full-upgrade

• I did a apt full-upgrade, which yes I know is not recommended. After doing that command I noticed it said it was removing the openmediavault package, and sure enough, after it was done, openmediavault was gone. When I tried to reinstall it, I get this message:

I looked into downgrading again, and it seems like it can end up being even more unstable than the original full-upgrade.

I also noticed there's an alpha version for OMV version 6, would that work on my version of Debian?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did a apt full-upgrade, which yes I know is not recommended. After doing that command I noticed it said it was removing the openmediavault package, and sure enough, after it was done, openmediavault was gone. When I tried to reinstall it, I get this message:

I looked into downgrading again, and it seems like it can end up being even more unstable than the original full-upgrade.

I also noticed there's an alpha version for OMV version 6, would that work on my version of Debian?

LOL. Did you know it wasn't recommended before you did this? It's hard to have much sympathy when it told you right there what it was doing.

What is the output of

Code
    cat /etc/debian_version

Assuming you are on Debian 11... you can reinstall with the install script.

• LOL. Did you know it wasn't recommended before you did this? It's hard to have much sympathy when it told you right there what it was doing.

What is the output of

Code
    cat /etc/debian_version

Assuming you are on Debian 11... you can reinstall with the install script.

Yes, I did know. I was actually trying to install Proxmox, which I installed, then decided to uninstall after realising I would need a seperate disk. I probably should've read up about that. I was also fully aware that it could easily break my install, I took the risk for some reason and I regret everything.

Running cat /etc/debian_version gives me 10.10.

I'm very confused now, did I downgrade somehow? I swear I was on Debian 11 before...

• Ok so I managed to upgrade to Debian 11 following this article, and now cat /etc/debian_version gives me 11.0. Now I have many dependancy issues:

https://pastebin.com/wbmFFgN0

I tried out sudo apt --fix-broken install, but it didn't help

https://pastebin.com/sd0Ce34s

I also got this message halfway through sudo apt --fix-broken install.

• Hello,

I had the same issue today. In the message, they are telling you to replace pam_tally and pam_tally2 by pam_faillock. We “just” have to look through the configuration files in /etc/pam.d and show if we are using pam_tally*:

The last command above will only show the line containing pam_tally or pam_tally2 (most probably pam_tally2). We now know how many lines to replace. Here, I've been lazy, because I suspected that those lines were in the openmediavault related files (I checked using cat openmediavault* | grep pam_faillock) and it was the case. Then you just have to use nano or other on the openmediavault files and to replace each instance of pam_tally2.so by pam_faillock.so.

After that, you can rerun sudo apt --fix-broken install (it should not fail). Then you rerun sudo apt full-upgrade.

I hope it can help…

Happy new year.

• This was one last key information after upgrading from OMV 5.x to 6.x. Something went wrong in the process of upgrading and I couldn't log into the webGUI due to the "Pam"-issue. Thanks!

• Then you just have to use nano or other on the openmediavault files and to replace each instance of pam_tally2.so by pam_faillock.so.

I had the same problem and it worked!

In detail, to find out the guilty files I did:

find . -type f -print | xargs grep "tally"

...I had to edit 3 files:

./openmediavault:account required pam_tally2.so

./openmediavault-webgui:account required pam_tally2.so

./openmediavault-common-auth:auth required pam_tally2.so onerr=fail audit deny=3 unlock_time=180

Thank you :)

Riccardo

ps. I just when you want to upgrade ex. from omv 5 to 6 you better repeat omv-release-upgrade instead of apt full-upgrade

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!