Sync Two Media Servers---Rsync?

• I have two OMV OMV 5.6 installations. They are located in different homes many miles apart.

The first setup houses my main media collection. I download TV shows and Movies on this machine with nzbGet, Radarr and Sonarr, all running via Docker.

The second machine is at my vacation home.

My goal is to keep both machines synchronized. I'd rather not need to download all of my content from the web in two separate locations. I'd like a solution that would allow me to make changes on my home machine and have them magically appear on my remote machine.

I thought that Rsync would be a good way to do this, but so far, I'm having no luck. I'm running into very slow speeds, permission issues and outright failures.

First, I had the two machines side by side on my home network. I copied my media folders from my primary machine to my secondary. That worked fine.

When I moved the secondary machine to the remote location, I had very little luck with synchronization.

When I simulate an Rsync session, it completes without error. When I try to do an actual sync, it takes forever even though very little has changed. If I initiate an Rsync session manually and watch the process, I see the system spending many seconds on each file, even on small files which have not changed.

I also see multiple failures due to mkstemp errors.

I am running Rsync as user:rsyncuser with a secure password.

Credentials do not seem to be the issue since the session does begin without issue, it just never completes without error.

Are there fundamental errors in my configuration? Is Rsync not the correct tool for my needs?

• Syncthing is ideal for this - set it up in docker on each machine and choose what folders to sync.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Offizieller Beitrag

"rsync" should work remotely. If you have errors, there is something in your configuration that is not right. The speed will depend on the internet connection in both locations, but I doubt it will be high for transferring large files.

Another possibility for this use case is to use "syncthing". With "rsync" you copy files from one machine to another in one direction. With "syncthing" the two machines are automatically synchronized in both directions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Syncthing is ideal for this - set it up in docker on each machine and choose what folders to sync.

While I was translating my answer you posted the same advice a minute before. ^^:thumbup:

• Syncthing can be set to do one way sync also.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Thanks. I've got it installed on both machines. They're currently both in the same physical location and on my home network. The first sync is happening now. It's slow but I expected that for the first time.

Once I'm initially synced I imagine it will be faster and it should work OK remotely.

BTW, I am using one-way.

Thanks for the help thus far.

• Ciao PitGritter, come è andata? hai avuto problemi? Io voglio creare un Sistema (PC) "NAS-b" che sia il perfetto clone del mio "Nas-a" (OMV + Dati) che sia in grado di poter funzionare immediatamente in caso di danneggiamento del "Nas-a" allo stesso modo, ma al momento non riesco a trovare una guida per capire come farlo!

• Offizieller Beitrag

A month after this thread I made this guide, I put it here in case someone is interested, it is another option to synchronize servers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!