U-NAS NSC-800 Build

• Dildano,

I modeled my build after your parts list and I'm finding a lot of stuff don't seem to fit. Also, your pics have been removed. Is it possible to look at the pics of your build once again?

Sorry about that. I haven't checked this thread in a while. I'm not sure what happened to my pictures, so I'll have to look into that. What's not fitting together?

• OK, I finally fixed the picture links, so they should be working now. Photobucket decided to do something weird that broke all my links. A few other updates:

• The Noctua CPU fan running at full speed was actually a BIOS issue. An update fixed that, so it's running normally now.
    • The rear 120mm fans running at a constant 1,000RPM are too loud in my opinion. I'm going to look into some fans that have speed controllers and can run quietly.
    • I'm still waiting patiently for the official release of Kralizec before I completely migrate all of my data from my old Netgear ReadyNAS Pro to my OMV box. Right now, every time there's an OMV update, I have to recompile my NIC drivers. I'm looking forward to the improved hardware compatibility.
    • I'm still disappointed with my network speeds to and from my OMV box. My OMV box has two Intel i210 ports bonded, my desktop has two Intel i350 ports bonded, traffic is flowing through an HP 1810-24G with trunking configured, and I'm still only getting around 50MB/s. On my old ReadyNAS, I can get up to 100MB/s, so there must be something wrong. I had to manually configure the bonded interface on my OMV box because I could never get it working through the interface. Perhaps Kralizec will magically fix this?
    • Going through this build thread, I discovered that you can buy a USB 3.0 port adapter for the U-NAS 800 case. I haven't made the leap yet - especially since I have USB 3.0 ports available in the back. But the build thread is very good even though he's not loading OMV.

I'll try to do a better job of providing updates. If anyone has any advice on my network issues, please feel free to chime in. :)

• 50mb/s with bonding? Thats really slow. Try single link speed, should be above 100mb/s if everything works allright.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• @dildano

May I ask you a couple of questions regarding your experiences about this build, specifically about that case, because I'm decently looking at it for my next NAS move.
    - What is your experience about the noise of the NAS in your setup? Is it audible at all in an empty room? (I'm asking because my home office where the NAS will be placed is also half our guest bedroom and I don't want our guest to being disturbed but also not shutting down the NAS)
    Especially for the PSU you picked, is it very noisy or not at all or just the both 120 mm in the back?
    - What are the maximum temperature you have experienced? What's the average temperature for the your disks?

Now a bit more difficult:
    How much space is between the trailing edge of the Mainboard and the Front USB Modul/ opposite edge at this corner. The reason I'm asking this, because I found a nice board by ASrock E3C224D4I-14 but it's 43 mm longer than the Mini-ITX standard format:
    http://www.asrockrack.com/gene…224D4I-14S#Specifications
    Can you tell or would be so kind to measure how many space in mm is left?

Many thanks.

One more thing, about a good choice of quality fans: (i made my very best experience them, i tried many different ones - it's my go-to in terms of fans) They have best combination of air pressure and noise, while some models are capable of pwm at same.
    Noiceblocker
    http://www.blacknoise.com/site/de/startseite.php

Cheers,
    Joker

• Joker, happy to help. See below...

Zitat

What is your experience about the noise of the NAS in your setup? Is it audible at all in an empty room? (I'm asking because my home office where the NAS will be placed is also half our guest bedroom and I don't want our guest to being disturbed but also not shutting down the NAS). Especially for the PSU you picked, is it very noisy or not at all or just the both 120 mm in the back?

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment required to measure the noise level. I can say that it's definitely not silent, but it is quieter than my old ReadyNAS Pro Business. I keep my NAS in a closet with all of my networking gear, so I usually don't hear it. Keep in mind that I replaced all of the fans including the ones in the PSU. They are all much quieter than the stock fans. I've had very good luck with the Noctua fans. I just realized that my build thread doesn't say anything about the 120mm Noctua fans for the case and the 40mm Noctua fans for the PSU. Hmm, I guess I need to add that.

Zitat

What are the maximum temperature you have experienced? What's the average temperature for the your disks?

According to the BMC on the motherboard right now, the CPU is 38C and the motherboard is 37C. According to OMV, all of the drives are between 34 and 36C. I now have five WD Red 4TB drives all stacked together. The closet where the NAS is gets a bit warmer than the rest of the room, so the temps could probably be a bit lower if I had it sitting on my desk.

Zitat

How much space is between the trailing edge of the Mainboard and the Front USB Modul/ opposite edge at this corner. The reason I'm asking this, because I found a nice board by ASrock E3C224D4I-14 but it's 43 mm longer than the Mini-ITX standard format: asrockrack.com/general/product…224D4I-14S#Specifications Can you tell or would be so kind to measure how many space in mm is left?

That is an awesome motherboard (I wish I had one), but it definitely will not fit in this case. I know this for certain because a good friend bought the case and this motherboard, and it wouldn't fit at all. The motherboard isn't too long. It's too tall! It would stick out the top of the case. My buddy ended up returning the case and using a SilverStone Technology Premium DS380B instead. He's pretty happy with it. He was determined to keep the motherboard for the onboard RAID controller and 32GB RAM capacity.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 50mb/s with bonding? Thats really slow. Try single link speed, should be above 100mb/s if everything works allright.

I finally figured this out! I can't believe it took me this long. The issue was TeraCopy. Once I uninstalled TeraCopy, my speeds went up to 112MB/s. The only downside is that Microsoft broke NIC teaming in Windows 10, so my PC is no longer bonded. Oh well...

• @'dildano - many thanks for sharing your experiences on this.

You are totally right, I didn't took that into account regarding the angle of mounting. Really good point though. I'll need to make some more considerations.

• it's a bloody shame. I really like the case.
    http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/pro…ctid=17610&cat=249&page=1

Tried to buy the case directly from them on taobao, as it is about $60 cheaper than buyer from the US site.
    Told them I didn't want to buy from the US, if they are going to ship from China anyway.

They refuse to sell to me in Germany, from China..
    Fortunately, I was able to get refund from taobao and have tried to call their US number, a number of times but no one answers......

You might want to steer clear of the risk, unless you have someone in China who can buy from taobao for you. I wouldn't risk buying from their website and not having any guarantees of delivery, etc. likr buying via taobao or alibaba
    ------------------------- update 26.04.2016 -----------------------------
    Bit the bullet and rang them in China. Ordered again via taobao and is currently on its way via Fedex. due Friday.
    ------------------------- update 29.04.2016
    NSC-400 Case arrived first thing Friday morning (sent Monday). Excellent quality. has a rubbery anti-scratch front removable stick-on anti-scratch plastic film for the case. Already pre-installed USB 3.0 and 250W ups for me. Removable trays are good quality smooth fitting.
    Overall very satisfied. Still prefer to buy via taobao (alipay) than by their own website. But no probs recommending to someone else.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!