Slow transfer rate from WIN10 to OMV with WinSCP

• Two days ago I bought some cat. 6 ethernet cables on Amazon (these: High Quality Network Cable) and I replaced all my home network cables with which the various peripherals were connected.

Result? The transfer speed has reached 1000 Mbps! :love:

Thanks to everyone for the support, I have however increased my knowledge of network connections. ;)

• shecky66

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • NO WAY, DO NOT USE SMB 1.x!!!!

You should not trust random and unreliable tutorials on Youtube.

Hello

When I wrote my first comment, I was an enthusiastic new user of Rpi4 and I felt I would help. The opposite was true, he has progressed a bit since then, and I can safely say that I have a lot to learn. This advice of mine was very bad.

So thanks for kicking in the right direction.

In order not to be completely out of the thread, at a lower bit rate, the change to a newer Linux kernel for Rpi is probably possible, and it is probably related to overclocking (as determined by the procedure of many different installation configurations, and a lot of information read)

Raspberry PI OS Buster with OMV 5 higher read and write speeds around 100MB / s and more.

Raspberry PI OS Bullseye OMV 6 reads 50MB / s write 100MB / s.

I've gone through things like UAS, network element speed and various settings and everything is OK.

But I will stay despite the lower speeds of the OMV 6 due to the nice user interface, and I will hope that the problems will be solved.

The only thing I miss is the new inability to install OMV on the desktop version of Raspberry PI OS, sd card copier with easy system disk backup (the option just suited me).

I understand why this is so, but I liked the opportunity. Maybe I read somewhere that there is a possibility to skip the dektop check during installation ... we'll see I'm looking for information :)

PC and everything around me has always been a big hobby, so building a home store on raspbian with OMV is endless fun for me for long winter evenings :)

Thanks for this site and everyone who contributes here.

Although I find that I would probably build it cheaper on conventional hardware than Rpi, but the fun around it :)

Thanks for this site and everyone who contributes here.

Google translator so please excuse it :)

Jirka

6.0.22 (Shaitan)---5.15.30-v8+---RPi4 4GB aarch64

120GB SSD system + 120GB SSD docker + 2x2TB HDD data SMB/NFS + 1x1TB NFS Hikvision

Preview my home storage

• new inability to install OMV on the desktop version of Raspberry PI OS

it was implemented to prevent issues after OS updates, the forum is full of them.

I was myself affected some time ago.
    Therefore if you bypass the safeguard, don't be surprised if OMV wont work as expected after some time!

sd card copier with easy system disk backup

is available via several approaches.
    1. OMV plugin for "backup", just use "dd" as backup method and select a sd-card contained in a USB-based carrier as target

2. Docker container with your favorite file manager tool

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I ran into the same issue. Loved the new UX, but had terrible transfers speeds. Finally, I went back to OMV5. Was it fixed or are you still waiting?

Regards, ED.

• I ran into the same issue. Loved the new UX, but had terrible transfers speeds. Finally, I went back to OMV5. Was it fixed or are you still waiting?

Regards, ED.

Since I use Pi (network HDD with occasional access, network movie playback and security camera recording), I'm actually very happy with everything.

If I copied hundreds of GB a day, I would mind. But because Pi with OMV does everything I want him to do, and he does it perfectly. So finding solutions to problems is really just the icing on the cake for me :)

It will take a long time, and that is good. At least I'll learn something.

Actually, I have one new finding - the writing speeds on Pi are higher if I turn off the device from the source and after turning on for some time (about 2 hours) the speeds are 70- + 100MB / s. Of course not always :)

I don't even count how many times I reinstalled Pi or uploaded the backup back, but it's routine :)

120GB SSD system + 120GB SSD docker + 2x2TB HDD data SMB/NFS + 1x1TB NFS Hikvision

Preview my home storage

• Jirri the signature mentions "RPi4 4GB--128GB SSD systém--2x2TB data SMB" but not how the drives are connected to the RPi and what file system is used. I suspect the root cause of degrading performance lies there or the home networking hardware.

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• @ Mi-Hol 

disks are connected using Ugreen USB 3.0 to SATA III Adapter Cable via USB 3.0 Charging HUB,Archer AX23, formatted ext4, network cat6 cables, transfers from another PC with windows with the same disk and adapter are high.

I've tried many different scenarios, Rpi just sends 50MB / s

But it writes 100 MB / s

Extra smb combination combination of all different options tested.

iperf3 and hdparm high speed

Is this thread probably not the most suitable place?

I would move somewhere, but where?

Preview my home storage

• Well the common pattern for causing low I/O performance could be related to 2.5" HDDs using USB3 to SATA adapters.

I'd suggest to create a new thread with title "Please report I/O performance of 2.5" SSDs and HDDs using USB3 to SATA adapter"

I'll start it but need to prepare instructions first on "how to collect the required data" because i.e. "chipset" is not so easy to retrieve and the fio benchmark needs setup requiring technical LINUX skills too. As example please see https://www.jeffgeerling.com/b…-raid-on-raspberry-pi-cm4

What came to mind (first quick draft) are below fields:

Read IO Performance
    (fio for 1 MB random reads)
    Write IO Performance (fio)SATA Adapter Brand & NameSATA adapter chipsetDrive Brand & NameDrive Cache size
    50MB / s100 MB / sUgreen USB 3.0 to SATA III Adaptersomething like JMicro 123?something like
    Western Digital WD Green Mobile 2TB (WD20NPVX) ?
    8Mb

This data would allow us to establish a baseline.

What is your view? Any comments or suggestions?

Note: I don't use any 2.5" drives because of performance limits experienced already.

• Jirri could you please post output of command lsblk --list --nodeps --json --scsi ?

• mi-hol Hi, thanks for the interest you are

lsblk --list --nodeps --json --scsi

Code
    {
       "blockdevices": [
          {"name":"sda", "hctl":"0:0:0:0", "type":"disk", "vendor":"Gigabyte", "model":"GIGABYTE_GP-GSTFS31120GNTD", "rev":"0   ", "serial":"SN212008944125", "tran":"usb"},
          {"name":"sdb", "hctl":"1:0:0:0", "type":"disk", "vendor":"WD      ", "model":"WDC_WD20SPZX-08UA7", "rev":"0   ", "serial":"WD-WXF2EA04ZRX9", "tran":"usb"},
          {"name":"sdc", "hctl":"2:0:0:0", "type":"disk", "vendor":"Ugreen  ", "model":"TOSHIBA_HDWL120", "rev":"0   ", "serial":"71A2PGP2T", "tran":"usb"},
          {"name":"sdd", "hctl":"3:0:0:0", "type":"disk", "vendor":"Seagate ", "model":"ST1000LM048-2E7172", "rev":"0   ", "serial":"WKPSHEP0", "tran":"usb"}
       ]
    }

The chipset of all usb adapters is 1153E

I use Google Translate, so communication with me may not always be easy :)

Thank you

• Jirri below is a draft for benchmark instructions. Are you familiar with bash?

PS: please translate your posts to English

Installing fio on Debian

my 3.5'' drive has performance for READ: bw=205MiB/s (215MB/s)

Code
    READ: bw=205MiB/s (215MB/s)

• mi-hol This is the only thing I can get out of it. The script from you says ...

#NOTE: only draft, script will not fully work yet!!!

# due to error:

# Can not open temp file: DEVICE_MOUNT_PATH/iozone

Preview my home storage

• sdc READ: bw=151MiB/s (158MB/s)

sdc has a reasonable performance :)

#list connected storage devices
    lsblk --list --nodeps --scsi

what is the output of this command? I assume it will provide the reason of bad performance and why only /dev/sdc provides a performance result :)

• mi-hol

Code
    NAME HCTL       TYPE VENDOR   MODEL                       REV SERIAL          TRAN
    sda  0:0:0:0    disk Gigabyte GIGABYTE_GP-GSTFS31120GNTD 0    SN212008944125  usb
    sdb  1:0:0:0    disk WD       WDC_WD20SPZX-08UA7         0    WD-WXF2EA04ZRX9 usb
    sdc  2:0:0:0    disk Ugreen   TOSHIBA_HDWL120            0    71A2PGP2T       usb
    sdd  3:0:0:0    disk Seagate  ST1000LM048-2E7172         0    WKPSHEP0        usb

sdc as the only one providing performance because I place

export DEVICE_UNDER_TEST = / dev / sd?

used

exportDEVICE_UNDER_TEST = / dev / sdc

I have to say that due to testing I also performed a new installation (so as not to get bored and rule out my mistakes) and the speeds are still the same.

SMB and NFS

Rpi >>> pc 53MB / s

pc >>> Rpi 100-110MB / s

Iperf3 930 Mbps

I do not get it

Preview my home storage

• export DEVICE_UNDER_TEST = / dev / sd?

used

export DEVICE_UNDER_TEST = / dev / sdc

Just to be sure, the read performance is 50MB/s for all 4 disc?

sda is a SSD, right?

can you run the commands for sda?
    export DEVICE_UNDER_TEST=/dev/sda

• mi-hol sdb-c-d for all hdd same 50-55MB / s

export DEVICE_UNDER_TEST=/dev/sda SSD

Preview my home storage

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Jirri ()

• Jirri using Ugreen USB 3.0 to SATA III Adapter seems to be the common fact for another case with low read performance see https://github.com/raspberrypi…33#issuecomment-776642481

• Jirri using Ugreen USB 3.0 to SATA III Adapter seems to be the common fact for another case with low read performance see https://github.com/raspberrypi…33#issuecomment-776642481

Well, yes, but ASM1051E is mentioned in that post.

For me, it is ASM1153E before the firmware update, after the update it also reports other types of chips.

I have three different adapters, two ASM1153E and one Jmicron, all behaving the same on Rpi, four of each. I have ordered another type.

If I try them on Windows, the speeds are maximum and they behave correctly ...

Debian problem?

I ordered a CM4 and a board, so I'm waiting for it to get to me.

I will test and keep looking.

I started with Raspberry sometime in the fall, and the first installation was OMV 5 and Buster, everything was OK (full speed). Then only OMV 6

I've already read the thread you are referring to, there is probably nothing on the Internet that I would not read about this topic.

Just expectations from Rpi was probably too high, but I'm basically satisfied. I just still can't do it, and I'm still looking for a solution.

Thank you very much

EDIT:

I found one more thing in the advanced SMB settings.

When I add write cache size = 524288, this is shown

So I removed it from the settings.

Preview my home storage

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Jirri ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!