Should I add containers to existing stack? purpose of stacks?

• stack - https://gist.github.com/dnburgess/e00fc05a567f278828ff72b3e35ed3cc

I'm running a slightly modified version of the above stack. I just want to show what containers are installed/used, dont critique code, I already cleaned it up :).

Now that I have this up and running, I want to add mylarr, lazylibrarian, readarr. then after that is running smoothe, eventually OpenVPN.

My question is, do I add them to my existing "Mediaserver" Stack via the editor option in Portainer? Should I create a new separate stack for "reading"? Does OpenVPN need to be in its separate stack? What is the purpose of having multiple stacks? Why separate stacks?

• Stacks group together related services, so it is only a matter of organising things.

I like to keep distinct functionality in different stacks. I would not put system monitoring and media services in one stack and even the media stack alone is too large for my taste.

One more thing is, stacks isolate networks between eachother (by prefixing them with the name of the stack).

Now make your decision.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Ok, thanks, that is helpful, so just organization. So if I leave SAB where it is, and set up readarr etc into a separate stack, they won't have a problem seeing one another?

Seems like maybe I should move the monitoring tools into its own stack, thanks again

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, thanks, that is helpful, so just organization. So if I leave SAB where it is, and set up readarr etc into a separate stack, they won't have a problem seeing one another?

Don't forget this quote from Zoki.

Zitat

One more thing is, stacks isolate networks between eachother (by prefixing them with the name of the stack).

If you configure stacks together they will be on the same network and can interact with each other. If they are separate they are on different networks by default (this is configurable).

If the interaction is simply that they write to the same folders on the host, it is not necessary that they live on the same network.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!