New Xfinity router, NO OMV with browser

• Hi, i just had a new xfinity router installed. I have access to files and shares via windows file browser but no access to omv using old ip address.

Using win cli, i see that old ip addresses are not there. tested listed ips for browser access... does not work...

Any ideas where to start. Cannot use putty with old ip addresses...

thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you got a new router and your OMV box was using dhcp, then there is very little chance that it is using the same ip address. The filebrowser propably work because you are using the dns name? Why are you using the ip address instead of the system name? That is the purpose of dns.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm assuming you can't log in to your router and get your new IP? You could download something like angryipscanner on one of your clients and run it. It will scan your whole network and find your IP.

Once you have it, log in to the webUI, and you can use the network tools to assign the IP address via the webUI rather than your router, and then this won't happen again if you buy a new router.

• thanks...

@rycoaaron...

"Why are you using the ip address instead of the system name? That is the purpose of dns."

I had used ip address for web gui access. How to use system name? How to determine system name? What is system name?

• The OMV has a hostname, which is registered in the dns of your router. http://<hostname> should do the trick.

The name should be shown in windows when shares are mounted too.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The OMV has a hostname, which is registered in the dns of your router. http://<hostname> should do the trick.

The name should be shown in windows when shares are mounted too.

I think so many are so used to using the webUI via the IP address, it doesn't occur too them to use the hostname. It never does to me to be honest. I think in 10yrs, I might have used the hostname twice... :)

• A former colleage said a good admin knows the IPs of his servers by heart, but that was before IPv6 and dozens of servers / devices per household.

I do not know IPs and only use names.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!