When I install sddm, openmediavault is automatically removed

• 1st I would like to apologize of making a OMVstein; but for a project I would really appreciate to use OMV as Storage and being able to have GUI on local to run, from time to time OBS-Studio on it.

Everything went well until I install sddm

sddm remove openmediavault

- and if I reinstall openmediavault, sddm is removed

Does somebody know the way to make this work ?

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Moin.

Ärgert mich auch. Hab einige NAS-Installationen laufen, teilweise als VMs unter ESX oder proxmox, bei denen eine GUI einfach ab und an praktisch ist. Meistens, weil entweder weitere Dienste laufen, aber auch mal, weil eine GUI zum rumsortieren von Dateien einfach besser ist, die Zeiten vom mc sind langsam mal vorbei, oder man mal schnell einen Browser braucht.

Vorweg: Ich hab schon Verständnis für Entwickler, wenn sie Dinge sperren, die immer wieder zu Fehlern und unnötigen Anwenderproblemen führen. Aber zum Glück is Linux dem guten alten Unix noch nahe genug, um auch hierfür Umwege zu finden. Aber: Wer dadurch Probleme mit seinem OMV bekommt - selbst schuld, das sollte nur was für Leute sein, die sich mit dem Unterbau auch auskennen und nicht wegen jedem Problem dann heulend in ein Forum rennen.

apt install lxde-core xinit

Das muss reichen. Wer jetzt fragt, was er damit nu machen soll, sollte besser auf eine GUI verzichten.

• Offizieller Beitrag

donc en fait tu me dis que je dois remplaçer sddm par xinit ?

pour le reste tu peux garder des insultes

If you install xinit, the system will boot to terminal and you can just type startx to start the desktop. The install script and omv package are only looking for display managers. BUT, you are not fixing the problem that having a desktop installed will cause.

There were no insults in that post. It simply said if you choose to run a desktop then it will be your fault if you have problems.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• eine GUI einfach ab und an praktisch ist

for what tasks/purpose exactly? in past forum posts alternatives for file management (i.e. webtop) have been recommended already

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• for what tasks/purpose exactly? in past forum posts alternatives for file management (i.e. webtop) have been recommended already

I exactly started the post with that by saying, OBS-Studio; to exploit the GPU of my OMV

but anyway, since computers are multitasks I should multiples computer to do multiple task

- one to store files

- one to record video

- one to edit video

- one to write email

I'll probably just return to my OMV on top of Proxmox

thanks for your advice.

• updated!

I exactly started the post with that by saying,

Assuming everybody knows the purpose of OBS-Studio

since computers are multitasks I should multiples computer to do multiple task

but each application has different (even contradicting) dependencies on other software components.

Windows coined the term "DLL hell" for an issue with similar impact but technically different root cause.

The Windows DDL-hell is not much of a problem on Linux

Therefore the technical approach to solve this issue was invented in the 1960s under the name "virtual machine" .

In 2008 a much cheaper (due to much lower resource requirements) technical approach was invented as "container".

Docker is a well known implementation for containers.

That's the reason all technical people will recommend running each application in its own container.

Does that start to make sense?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Does that start to make sense?

Nope. On Linux you take Dokker and such for convenience, but avoid it if you like security or run at least LXC's. The Windows DDL-hell is not much of a problem on Linux, that's what apt, pacman, portage, yast etc. are made for. You can break dependencies deliberately by ignoring warnings and forcing stuff, but that's your problem then. And installing apps across distributions and desktop environments is done by flatpak or snap, and both take care on you DLL-hell anyway. So conflicting libraries is not much of a concern. Problems might arise when (IMHO stupid) GUI things like the horrible NetworkManager kicks in and tries to mess up your network settings or when systemd stuff ruins your day. Tools like omv, ispCP, ISPConfig, Plesk, Ajenti, Froxlor or cPanel can make dealing with Linux servers easy, but tend to break stuff if you touch the system besides and outside of those tools. So it's in the admin's responsibility to know what he is doing when he is installing a DE or alter settings besides those tools.

• The Windows DDL-hell is not much of a problem on Linux

correct, Updated my comment to read "Windows coined the term "DLL hell" for an issue with similar impact but technically different root cause.".

In summary what I meant: don't take it for granted that different applications coexist on any computer without causing issues!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!