OMV6 Can't detect all HDD's

• I have just installed OMV6. I have a problem: not all hard drives are detected.

Indeed, two M2 disks which are connected to a PCI expansion card and a sata disk plugged on the mobo are missing.

Here are some details about my configuration:

4x8TB plugged on the motherboard

2x4TB plugged on the motherboard

1x4TB plugged on a pci expansion card

2x M.2 SATA 250Gb plugged on a pci expansion card

I specify that everything was functional a few hours ago, when I was on TrueNAS.

I tried to boot on a Ubuntu live-cd to see if I could see all the disks: it is indeed the case, they are detected by GParted and are all healthy.

Here is what I could extract from dmesg:

I have already tried the following manipulations:

- Checking the sata connections (and power supply): no problems detected

- Unit tests of the disks: they all work

- Reinstallation of the system : still the same

Do you have any idea why the disks are well detected in live-cd but not on OMV6 ?

Thanks in advance !

• What is the output of lsblk and blkid?

Here are the outputs :

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.
  • Debain finds these disks:

Code
    NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda           8:0    0   7.3T  0 disk 
    sdc           8:32   0   7.3T  0 disk 
    sdd           8:48   0   7.3T  0 disk 
    sdf           8:80   0   7.3T  0 disk 
    sde           8:64   0   3.6T  0 disk 
    sdb           8:16   0   3.6T  0 disk 
    nvme0n1     259:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 

4 x 6TB

2 x 4 TB

1 x 500GB NVMe , which you do not have in your computer?

What did Ubuntu report with the lsblk?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Yes I have them, in my computer I have 4x8 TO + 3x 3TO + 2x 250 GB (M.2) + 1x 500 GB (nvme).

I am missing 1x 4TB (connected to the motherboard) and the two 250GB M2.

Here is the output of lsblk with ubuntu live cd :

As you can see, everything is well detected. I checked the SMART status again, all disks are healthy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the ubuntu live cd shows all disks, it sounds like some module is missing in the Debian Backports kernel. Try installing the Proxmox kernel from omv-extras. It should show the same disks as Ubuntu since it is a lightly modified Ubuntu LTS kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If the ubuntu live cd shows all disks, it sounds like some module is missing in the Debian Backports kernel. Try installing the Proxmox kernel from omv-extras. It should show the same disks as Ubuntu since it is a lightly modified Ubuntu LTS kernel.

Hello,

sorry I forgot to mention that I already have the proxmox kernel (But the disks are not detected either with this one or with the debian kernel)

Code
    root@arch:~# uname -r
    5.15.19-1-pve
    • Offizieller Beitrag

That is very strange. What motherboard is this? It would be interesting to see the output of lsmod | sort from OMV and the Ubuntu Live CD.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• That is very strange. What motherboard is this? It would be interesting to see the output of lsmod | sort from OMV and the Ubuntu Live CD.

My motherboard is an MSI H97M-G43.

Here are the outputs of lsmod :

On ubuntu live cd

On omv6

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it doesn't seem to be a loaded module. It could be a compiled in module. If you have the time, how about this from both: sudo fdisk -l | grep -w Disk | grep -v identifier | sort

• Well, it doesn't seem to be a loaded module. It could be a compiled in module. If you have the time, how about this from both: sudo fdisk -l | grep -w Disk | grep -v identifier | sort

Sure, here they are:

Live cd :

OMV:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it just the drives on the two expansion cards that aren't showing up?

• Is it just the drives on the two expansion cards that aren't showing up?

Indeed, this seems to be a problem with the PCIe expansion card. Here is a link to the information sheet of the card

It is well recognized by ubuntu and debian :

EDIT :

Seems to be a problem at boot time :

I will try to boot with iommu=off intel_iommu=off iommu.passthrough=1

EDIT 2 :

it works with the above settings. Can this have an impact on OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think so. OMV is just a package running on Debian. It is pretty abstract from kernel settings. Proof is that it works just fine on arm too. Glad you found it.

• I don't think so. OMV is just a package running on Debian. It is pretty abstract from kernel settings. Proof is that it works just fine on arm too. Glad you found it.

Thank you very much for your help and your time, it put me on the right path to find out where the problem came from. Have a nice day.

• Can you tell us, where the problem came from and what you did to resolve?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Hello.

I have kind of the same issue: NVMe is shown as a Shared Folder (I can access it through Samba)

BUT, it does not appear in my Disks list :

And on OMV , if I check "File Systems" is this:

As you can see - there is a disk with the file system missing.

FACTS:

Hardware is HP Z400 workstation , the NVMe drive is installed on a PCIe adapter.

I am running the latest OMV6

Any ideas why is this happening?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hardware is HP Z400 workstation , the NVMe drive is installed on a PCIe adapter.

If you read the thread you can see that it is probably a hardware and driver problem. Then I would try switching to a proxmox kernel to see if that resolves the issue (openmediavault-kernel plugin). Maybe also investigate if the solution in post 17 would work for you too.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!