Manually update Plex Step by step Tutorial?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you were using the compose plugin and had the latest tag, you could just select the container you wanted to update, click pull, then click up. Done.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you were using the compose plugin and had the latest tag, you could just select the container you wanted to update, click pull, then click up. Done.

That will not update the Plex Media Server software if the container does not have the environment variable VERSION=latest.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That will not update the Plex Media Server software if the container does not have the environment variable VERSION=latest.

That is dumb. Why have an image tag version then? I was just speaking for containers in general but evidently some need special hand holding.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• linuxserver/plex dockers are unusual.

The images do not contain the Plex Media Server software within them. When the container is run the first time the software (the Ubuntu deb package) is downloaded and installed into the container and then started. The purpose the image tag is to override the hardware architecture detection and allow a manual selection. In the past, tags were also used select between Focal and Bionic baseimages, but this has been deprecated.

If the VERSION environment variable is properly set, the simplest way to obtain the latest updated software is to restart the container, or perform any step that results in a container restart (docker restart, server reboot, compose up, etc.)

If the VERSION environment variable is not set, the specific consequences of this are clearly written into the container log.

This has been the source of a lot of confusion, but if the image documentation and container logs are read and understood it's pretty clear. Those who can't or won't read documentation and logs, or those who can't arrive at understanding them are going to be at a disadvantage, and not just with this image.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is dumb. Why have an image tag version then? I was just speaking for containers in general but evidently some need special hand holding.

Nextcloud is the same way... You can download multiple image updates, and NC still not upgrade unless you run the updater in the admin panel.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, I agree. I *assume* in those instances, it means the OS the container is hosted on, is up to date.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nextcloud is the same way... You can download multiple image updates, and NC still not upgrade unless you run the updater in the admin panel.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, I agree. I *assume* in those instances, it means the OS the container is hosted on, is up to date.

None of the docker images I use do that. It is dumb. The whole point of an image is to have content in it not just be a wrapper installing a package. You container would be broken if the download site is down. But oh well, I don't use either.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!