Setting up nextcloud in docker

• If you run Collabora in a separate container, and then point NC at it as your Collabora server.. it is considerably faster. I have no issues w/ it and use it all the time.

I read that when I first installed it (it's on the github)

Zitat

Nextcloud's built-in collaborative editing packages (Collabora/CODE and OnlyOffice) only work on x86_64 systems with glibc, and therefore they are not compatible with our images.

Since I didn't saw a real use for me, I just forgot about it.

Thing is, for those who don't see it, when you do the initial install of NC (the initial step where you create the user and set the database, etc), there's an already ticked box that makes NC install the "default apps" and it includes Collabora apps.

Let me see if I can find a screen of it on the NET.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, you still use the Collabora App... it's just when it is installed by default (as you say) it points to it's internal document server, which is slow. If you install the collabora container, and then configure the app to point at the container.. at least in my experinece, it is markedly better.

• Well, you still use the Collabora App

I don't think so, at least don't have it installed on the NC apps list (but I use too few apps for my use-case)

I'm running on a Pi so I know it can only do so much.

P.S.

Here's the SS showing the box .

In this case is unticked but it is usually ticked (happened the first tries and only after I re-did the container for the last time, I finally saw it and unmarked it, :) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

My mistake, you're right... It's actually the Nextcloud Office app that I pointed at my collabora container... The Collabora app is disabled. I had to actually double check but I thought for sure I'd routed it through the Collabora app.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you install the collabora container, and then configure the app to point at the container.. at least in my experinece, it is markedly better.

Any links to a docker-compose, or one someone has successfully worked out? I have been working on this yml with limited success:

I have to comment out the domain variable to get it to “work.” My Swag reverse proxy works but the page is white and only has a tiny “OK” in the upper left corner of the page. Nextcloud recognizes the Collabora server in the settings. I’m guessing there is more needed in the Collabora container, especially since there is no volumes mapped.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Soma I saw that and it is a bit out side of my experience set. Three questions:

1. Does the .env file reside in the same folder as the .yml file?
    2. There is a Collabora.subdomain.conf file in Swag. Can’t I just use that instead of the Nginx code at the bottom?
    3. What’s the deal with the auto start script? Can’t I just run docker-compose up -d manually?
  • Soma I saw that and it is a bit out side of my experience set. Three questions:

1. Does the .env file reside in the same folder as the .yml file?
    2. There is a Collabora.subdomain.conf file in Swag. Can’t I just use that instead of the Nginx code at the bottom?
    3. What’s the deal with the auto start script? Can’t I just run docker-compose up -d manually?

Sorry I just found it and posted it.

But from what I saw, I think you can bypass some steps.

1 - Never used an .env

Only set the user and pass on the YML (not really safe)

2 - My thought exactly. Use the SWAG proxy.

3 - Need to have a better look. I'm on phone ATM.

I might try it on a VM tomorrow if I have some free time, even though I don't use it,

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’ll check it out later tonight.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’ll check it out later tonight.

Here's how I did it.

Code
    version: "2.2"
    services:
      collabora:
        image: collabora/code
        container_name: collabora
          #network_mode: swag_default
        ports:
          - 9980:9980
        restart: unless-stopped

Deploy...to be honest, I don't think you even need the username/password there. I'll check that (edit: nope you dont)

Once done, go to https://ip:9980 and after you accept the risk, it should just say "OK".. this tells you it's working.

Setup your collabora.subdomain.conf and adjust as necessary (8, 34, 35, 36)

If you're using CNAME's in swag, Add your CNAME to your swag stack and also make sure to add it to your domain panel

Deploy swag again and pull a new cert.

Now go to your collabora stack, set your network mode, and redeploy. Once it fully starts you should be able to go to https://collabora.yourdomain.url and just get the "OK" page, secured with SSL

Now log in as an admin user on Nextcloud

Go to Apps, and uninstall Collabora, and then install Nextcloud Office

Once installed, go to Admin/Settings

At the top under "Personal/Office", assign a Template folder. As the name implies, this is where it keeps templates for that user.

Under Settings/Admin/Office, switch from using the built in Code Server, to "Use Your Own Server", enter your full domain, and click Save... and you should get a green check that your server is reachable.

Go back out to your Files, click the + sign and choose a Office Document to create, and it should start up no problem. If you have current documents, just click one and it should open with NC Office instead of downloading now.

To use the app as a non-admin user.. Just log in as that user, go to Settings/Office and assign a Template folder.

Once that's done you can use it like the Admin user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 That is exactly how I have it set up. I can create and open LibreOffice docs from within Nextcloud

Here is the corner of my Collabora page:

You can see all it contains is the word "OK". There is nothing else - nothing to click on or do. Is that the way it is suppose to be? Dang, the third pull on the container was half a Gig! Also the compose file has variables for password and username, but nowhere is there a login. What is that about?

I haven't yet dug into the compose file Soma linked to above. I need to do a little more reading.

1 - Never used an .env

Only set the user and pass on the YML (not really safe)

Soma do you mean that using an .env file is not really safe, or setting user and pass on the YML is not really safe?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The username and password environment is required. Or at least the container failed to deploy when I tried w/o it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The username and password environment is required. Or at least the container failed to deploy when I tried w/o it.

I just commented those two lines out and it redeployed. Hmmmm.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Really? that's weird, it flooded me w/ an nginx error when I tried that

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot... I see what I did.

It does work w/o the username password

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what problem are you having...

If you go to https://your.ip:9980, do you get the "OK" after you accept the warning

Man I'm frustrated from the SSH thread earlier and missing obvious crap..lol. I see you are getting the collabora subdomain secured..

So now you just need to configure nextcloud office Is it seeing your domain when you type it in (since you're using a cert, also make sure you uncheck https)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what problem are you having...

I'm just not understanding what is the functionality is for the Collabora server. I can go to https://collabora.my-domain.duckdns.org fine. There is just nothing there. There is nothing wrong. I can create and edit LibreOffice docs in Nextcloud no problem. I'm just having trouble getting my head around the Collabora server and what the server's GUI actually DOES. I want some buttons and sliders. :(

If you start calling me Chip I'm going to hit you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm just not understanding what is the functionality is for the Collabora server. I can go to https://collabora.my-domain.duckdns.org fine. There is just nothing there. There is nothing wrong. I can create and edit LibreOffice docs in Nextcloud no problem. I'm just having trouble getting my head around the Collabora server and what the server's GUI actually DOES. I want some buttons and sliders. :(

If you start calling me Chip I'm going to hit you.

gettin close.. lmao

No, there's not supposed to be anything there (it should just say OK.. as I said).. The server is just that, a document server that nextcloud accesses. There's not really anything to configure, as it's just a document server

This is my basic understanding of the issue from reading on Nextcloud forums and Linuxserver IO forums a few months ago.

The collabora app, apparently works well with the official nextcloud container (although some say it's slow).

The collabora app, does not work at all on the Linuxserver nextcloud container.. So to get around that w/ the Linuxserver container, you install the collabora container, which basically hosts the document server.. then you just point the Nextcloud Office app at the collabora container, and everything works fine because Nextcloud app isn't trying to run the document server, the collabora container is.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. I guess. Sort of.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. I guess. Sort of.

Yeah, re-reading that, it didn't make any more sense to me..lol... but that was as clear as I could make it.

I think part of the problem, is the official nextcloud container uses apache.. and they wrote the collabora plugin to kinda all work together with apache.

The linuxserver container, uses nginx, whiich means the document server that nextcloud includes, doesn't work.

The collabora container uses nginx, so it works nicely wiith the linuxserver nextcloud. You're right though, the container really doesn't do anything beyond act as a document server for the Nextcloud office app. I'm not sure what people do who configure the official nextcloud container with nginx... I assume exactly what we did.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!