"The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"

• I'm trying to connect to my Odroid device through Samba/OMV. It worked yesterday, and for some reason does not work any longer today. In the mean time I have created a new standard user and deleted my old one on the device, but it doesn't matter whether I use the root credentials or the standard user credentials which I gave explicit samba permissions to, it keeps spitting out the same error in the title when I try to connect.

I enabled full logging, but it seems that there is no logs yet and nothing shows up when I type the commands to check logs in. I checked if the SMB daemon service was running, it is indeed running. I know the computers can still connect with eachother, OMV and everything else work just fine, and samba still asks me for login credentials instead of just immediately telling me it's invalid.

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use Windows, but I seem to recall something about a guest user and Win 10, but don't think I've ever heard of a credentialed user having issues.

If you browse your network is the network location seen? Maybe it's some sort of cache issue and it's trying to check it against your saved credentials on Windows?

• I don't use Windows, but I seem to recall something about a guest user and Win 10, but don't think I've ever heard of a credentialed user having issues.

If you browse your network is the network location seen? Maybe it's some sort of cache issue and it's trying to check it against your saved credentials on Windows?

I don't think it would be anything to do with guest users, samba is set to private, and my windows account is authenticated and logged in. The network location for the device does show up after running a python script designed to make it appear, but the samba shares I'm trying to add manually from a network location. The username and password you're supposed to use with SMB is just the ordinary login of the linux user right?

• Can you check from the OMV cli if the directory you are using as a share really exists and has proper premissions?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Can you check from the OMV cli if the directory you are using as a share really exists and has proper premissions?

I can just check within OMV too, it works fine. It definitely exists I used it yesterday. I don't think any of the permissions were changed since.

edit: after restarting both machines, the error notification changed to "invalid network credentials" but otherwise behaves exactly the same. I know for a fact the username and password are identical to the ones I just logged into the device with.

• I ran the check tosee if nmbd service was running, turns out it was actually not.

● nmbd.service - Samba NMB Daemon

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nmbd.service; disabled; vendor preset:>

Active: inactive (dead)

Docs: man:nmbd(8)

man:samba(7)

man:smb.conf(5)

I manually started the service up, but samba is still telling my network credentials are incorrect. Not sure what else I can test honestly.

• Try to connect from the windows command line. You will get some errors that way. Gave up on windows and don't remember of the top of my head. But google or such knows how to do it.

net use x: \\192.168.0.42\Torrents

Enter the user name for '192.168.0.42': root

Enter the password for 192.168.0.42:

System error 86 has occurred.

The specified network password is not correct.

I know for a fact what I typed in is exactly the same as the user I login to the NAS with, I just connected with putty using the same info and it works fine.

• Can you do this with a normal user and make this user have permissions on the shared folder before.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Finally found some logs, here is most of the logfile recently for attempts to connect from my main PC

[2022/05/02 01:57:31.722427, 3] ../../source3/auth/auth.c:203(auth_check_ntlm_password)

check_ntlm_password: mapped user is: [MicrosoftAccount]\[Exhaust]@[EXHAUSTPC]

[2022/05/02 01:57:31.723129, 3] ../../source3/passdb/lookup_sid.c:1710(get_primary_group_sid)

Forcing Primary Group to 'Domain Users' for Exhaust

[2022/05/02 01:57:31.724063, 3] ../../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:446(ntlm_password_check)

ntlm_password_check: NTLMv2 password check failed

[2022/05/02 01:57:31.724178, 3] ../../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:492(ntlm_password_check)

ntlm_password_check: Lanman passwords NOT PERMITTED for user Exhaust

[2022/05/02 01:57:31.724293, 3] ../../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:639(ntlm_password_check)

ntlm_password_check: LM password and LMv2 failed for user Exhaust, and NT MD4 password in LM field not permitted

[2022/05/02 01:57:31.724918, 2] ../../source3/auth/auth.c:344(auth_check_ntlm_password)

check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [Exhaust] -> [Exhaust] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD, authoritative=1

I don't really understand what any of this means, but a cursory glance seems to imply that it thinks I'm trying to login with my microsoft account, and then rejecting it? Not really sure how this makes sense given that it also rejects my root login.

Here's a further one where I try to login with root instead

[2022/05/05 20:58:13.077553, 3] ../../auth/ntlmssp/ntlmssp_server.c:509(ntlmssp_server_preauth)

Got user=[root] domain=[MicrosoftAccount] workstation=[EXHAUSTPC] len1=24 len2=262

[2022/05/05 20:58:13.077788, 3] ../../source3/auth/auth.c:200(auth_check_ntlm_password)

check_ntlm_password: Checking password for unmapped user [MicrosoftAccount]\[root]@[EXHAUSTPC] with the new password interface

[2022/05/05 20:58:13.077864, 3] ../../source3/auth/auth.c:203(auth_check_ntlm_password)

check_ntlm_password: mapped user is: [MicrosoftAccount]\[root]@[EXHAUSTPC]

[2022/05/05 20:58:13.078020, 3] ../../source3/auth/check_samsec.c:398(check_sam_security)

check_sam_security: Couldn't find user 'root' in passdb.

[2022/05/05 20:58:13.078084, 2] ../../source3/auth/auth.c:344(auth_check_ntlm_password)

check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [root] -> [root] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1

[2022/05/05 20:58:13.078212, 2] ../../auth/auth_log.c:635(log_authentication_event_human_readable)

Seems to imply that domain is set incorrectly as well, I don't really understand where that setting is or what it should be set to, though.

• I don't use Windows, but I seem to recall something about a guest user and Win 10, but don't think I've ever heard of a credentialed user having issues.

If you know anyone around here who can read samba logs please ping them, I googled some of the lines but couldn't really get much info out of them myself.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!