Do 2 Ethernet connections provide better speed?

• I am finally in the process of setting up my NAS! Right now I don't have my new hard drives for the ZFS pool, but I can add them later if I understand correctly.

My server machine is an HP Z420 workstation. 4c8t xeon, 16gb ddr3 ECC. It has an Ethernet port on the motherboard, but I also have a working Ethernet PCIe card.

Is there a way to use both at the same time to provide a better internet connection? Is that even necessary?

• Hi! that technique -two interfaces on the same network- is named Interface Bonding. Linux can do it easily. Home routers not so. The cheapest router with bonding capabilities is a mikrotik -for sure-. I tried it, but it wasn't a great improvement on my scenario and my workloads.

• Offizieller Beitrag

bonding can get you better performance but for multiple operations. A single operation will not give you double the performance. So, it wouldn't do anything for your internet connection. I recommend getting a faster network card (10GBe) and switch.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I doubt that your network card is the bottleneck to the internet. What does your provider offer and how powerfull is your router?

ATM I have 100MBit download /40MBit upload external traffic

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• So maybe I didn't clarify well enough. My ISP gives us fiber 250 up, 250 down. And its very reliable. The router does gigabit ethernet.

A single operation will not give you double the performance.

But if I somehow designate one network card to handle only things from Jellyfin, and another one to handle all other traffic, would that work? Would I then have two IP addresses to call on?

I did look into 10gbe. It's too expensive for me at this time in my life :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

But if I somehow designate one network card to handle only things from Jellyfin, and another one to handle all other traffic, would that work? Would I then have two IP addresses to call on?

Sure but OMV doesn't allow you to specify an adapter for services. You could have to two addresses but if they are on the same subnet, you would only have one with a gateway. Are you saturating a gigabit adapter with Jellyfin?

I did look into 10gbe. It's too expensive for me at this time in my life

I'm using $20 used mellanox cards from eBay and you can buy a switch with two 10GBe and two 2.5GBe ports for $150 https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I've never tried Jellyfin yet, so I don't know about bandwidth. I am assuming it will not take up the whole gigabit tho.

From the small amounts of documentation I can find, I am no longer considering using two ethernet ports. maybe I'll save the card to go in a another machine to use as a router someday 8|

I'm using $20 used mellanox cards from eBay

man thats a good deal.... but ill be content with Gigabit for now unless I run out of bandwidth and need to add a 10gig card later xD

• What do you mean with that?

Tipically, network interfaces transmit packets with MTU=1500, this means (basically) that packets has a maximum size of 1500 bytes (headers+payload). The MTU must fit with the capacity of the connection. Example: with IPSec VPN connections, max MTU is reduced to 1460. So, if the OMV sends a 1500byte packet, the router has to break it into two pieces. This is fatal for some protocols -i.e. SMB-. Our internet connection may be lower MTU than 1500. Check it with the ping tool (do not fragment). Adjunsting the interface MTU makes packets flow without fragmentation.

https://networkengineering.sta…ing-mtu-and-fragmentation

• I know what a MTU is, but my provider will only offer 100MBit / 40 MBit speed. Living in germany is no fun regaring available internet speed.

But maybe in next year I can get a fiber with 1GBit up/download speed.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Living in germany is no fun regaring available internet speed.

But maybe in next year I can get a fiber with 1GBit up/download speed.

;( You poor soul. My internet is 5 down and .5 up. Ah, rural living. But yesterday I talked to an engineer driving down our road who told me fiber was coming this year. I’ll believe it when I see it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You poor soul. My internet is 5 down and .5 up. Ah, rural living. But yesterday I talked to an engineer driving down our road who told me fiber was coming this year. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Starlink??

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’m on the waiting list.

• ;( You poor soul. My internet is 5 down and .5 up. Ah, rural living. But yesterday I talked to an engineer driving down our road who told me fiber was coming this year. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I have 400 down and 25 up with Spectrum, so for now I am a happy camper. ATT is laying down fiber in my neighborhood and is offering 1GB up and down for same $ as Spectrum but there might be a contract with ATT. I do not know yet.. Fiber by itself will not give you any faster connection, but it will reduce latency. The speed you get is the speed you pay for regardless copper or fiber unless you want 10GB. BTW copper line is good for, I believe, up to 2.5GB.+.

My 2 cents.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW copper line is good for, I believe, up to 2.5GB.+.

Not if it’s AT&T dsl/phone line. :)

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!