I have a domain name, do I need to do anything special at setup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, I know it's getting kinda late.. so not sure how much further you want to go... but here's what I would do.

1. Download this ISO... https://cdimage.debian.org/deb…-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso

2. put that ISO on your installer w/ Etcher and boot it (Choose the graphical installation).. You'll need a mouse if you choose graphical, or if you're comfortable with the text installer, use it. The procedure is the same.

3. Go through the network connection, etc. and when it comes time to partition, choose "Manual". You should be able to see which drive you want to format as the OS.

Give it a swap partition.. probably 2-3 gigs should be plenty

The rest of the drive, make ext4, , format set to yes, and mount point should be /

Once that is done, make note of the drives location (/dev/sda, /sdb, whatever) continue with the install.

When it comes time, to install software... Uncheck everything but SSH server, and Standard System Utilities.

Finish install.

When it asks to install grub, choose manual, and manually choose the drive referenced earlier.. (ie, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb .. you shouldn't need any numbers after the drive letter).

Install grub and remove the installer, and reboot

Assuming you get the Debian prompt, we can go from there.

• Thanks for those steps! Yeah, it’s too late to continue tonight. I have to wake up at 4.45 to go work tomorrow.

Assuming you get the Debian prompt, we can go from there.

And will this method leave me with the exact same type of server as the normal installation? I.e., I won’t be able to tell the difference between the finished products?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for those steps! Yeah, it’s too late to continue tonight. I have to wake up at 4.45 to go work tomorrow.

And will this method leave me with the exact same type of server as the normal installation? I.e., I won’t be able to tell the difference between the finished products?

Yes.. the only difference, is your user you create... will be in a shit ton of groups... where a user you create in the web panel, will only be in users by default. This is easy to modify once the OMV is installed on top of Debian

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, so after you install Debian, log in with root, and get your IP

Code
    ip a

You said you have Ubuntu, so open an Ubuntu terminal and

ssh username@server.ip

The user name will be the one you created during the Debian install. Obviouslly serverip, is your server ip (debian doesn't allow root ssh by default).

Once logged in as your user, elevate to root

Code
    su -

and enter your root password.

Once your prompt changes to root

apt update

apt install wget sudo (they might already be installed, if they are fine, if not, install them)

Once that's done, paste this into the SSH session as root

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

Sit back and watch the show.

When it's done, go to your IP address in a web browser, and you should get the log in screen.

Default login is admin:openmediavault

• Good to know. Before I resort to the dirty Debian method, I’m going to try flashing the iso onto a different brand and size of stick drive. If that doesn’t fix it (although I’m 90% sure it will) I will do Debian.

Now I just have to make sure I own a stick drive that’s different….

• I

Whew. After you taking the time to type that out, I might just do it anyways

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good to know. Before I resort to the dirty Debian method, I’m going to try flashing the iso onto a different brand and size of stick drive. If that doesn’t fix it (although I’m 90% sure it will) I will do Debian.

Now I just have to make sure I own a stick drive that’s different….

It's not really "dirty" (actually I prefer it).... but Volker writes the ISO's to basically remove most input from the user as it's presumed the user installing is.. probably inexperienced.... so it just kinda goes on autopilot. Well, sometimes as a result, you'll run into problems like you're having.

The Debian ISO, while slightly more complex, usually overcomes these issues, and then installing OMV on top of Debian is fairly trivial with the omv-extras script

• Offizieller Beitrag

I

Whew. After you taking the time to type that out, I might just do it anyways

LOL.

It honestly takes longer to type than actually do. The Debian install takes.. usually about 5-10min since you're not installing a ton of packages.

Installing OMV w/ the script, typically takes about 5-10min tops.

• Hehe nice. I have installed Debian before so if I go that route it won’t be a huge challenge until I get to the omv part.

Is the thing that has happened (where I select a drive, and then cancelling it does nothing) considered a bug? Because if so, I’ll film it and send it so votdev can see it happening.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hehe nice. I have installed Debian before so if I go that route it won’t be a huge challenge until I get to the omv part.

Is the thing that has happened (where I select a drive, and then cancelling it does nothing) considered a bug? Because if so, I’ll film it and send it so votdev can see it happening.

It's not really a bug, it just happens on occasion with USB to USB installs. USB to SATA, it almost never happens. Votdev does very little modification to the Debian installer. But I think because of the way the installer just sort of "auto partitions" the drive you choose, and doesn't really give you any other options... it causes an issue. And in your case, where your flash drives are both exactly the same.. you have no idea which one you installed to.

• Rightttt, this is probably a more niche issue. I’ll work on it either tomorrow night or Saturday night. Tomorrow night I need to get my moms website up. I’m starting from scratch. It’ll be fun, but it might take quite while

• Well, personally... I always create my main user first.. so it will always be 1000/100. Then I make sure that user is in the docker group. The first user created on a system, is always 1000. So as long as that's the first user I create, I never have to change them. This allows me to use that user to restart containers, deploy a docker-compose file/docker-run command, etc without being root.

I don't like to SSH as root either, so I put that user in the SSH group as well, and then disable SSH root login.

Code
    ken0201@openmediavault:~$ id ken0201 
    uid=1000(ken0201) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),111(ssh),993(docker)
    ken0201@openmediavault:~$ 

I do not want to make a long story about it, but ken0201 is effectivly root on the system! Does not matter if he is in the sudo group he can execute any command passwordless.

probably rm -rf /var as user ken0201 would not do any harm but just throws a few permission denied messages.

docker run --rm -v /:/rootfs debian  rm -rf /rootfs/var will just wipe the /var directory.

The reason is, that everyone in the group docker is allowed to access the docker socket. docker is running as root, so the container i spun up is running as root too.

This is the reason I have a seperate user docker-app just as a user to run processes inside the containers.

The same reason applies for not using the docker user (created automatically during install of docker) as a user inside your containers.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't disagree w/ what you're saying.... with one caveat. I just done all this on a virtual machine (removing /var). Any damage appears to be isolated to the OS drive. So yes, OMV is wrecked and throws multiple errors during boot, the docker daemon is running but throwing errors when you try to do just about anything. But my data can't be messed with. I couldn't care less about the OS, I can have that back up in 40min. Trying to use that docker run command to remove a directory that is not on the root drive, just throws an error (as a user in the docker group). I even tried just removing the /srv directory.. and that didn't work at all. So unless I'm missing something what you're saying is true, but it really isn't relevant to my data.

• I don't disagree w/ what you're saying.... with one caveat. I just done all this on a virtual machine (removing /var). Any damage appears to be isolated to the OS drive. So yes, OMV is wrecked and throws multiple errors during boot, the docker daemon is running but throwing errors when you try to do just about anything. But my data can't be messed with. I couldn't care less about the OS, I can have that back up in 40min. Trying to use that docker run command to remove a directory that is not on the root drive, just throws an error (as a user in the docker group). I even tried just removing the /srv directory.. and that didn't work at all. So unless I'm missing something what you're saying is true, but it really isn't relevant to my data.

Try mounting a /srv/dev.disk-by... directory and try (not on the real system).

Probably you could not remove files because you monted symlinks into the docker. As symlinks are not resolvable inside the container nothing bad happenes.

Have fun playing.

I am using this method on a server in a data center I do not have root / sudo privileges on to do the things which need to be done (Please don't tell anybody ;) )

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm reinstalling my virtual machine now... I'll check in a sec (and actually for what it's worth.. I only had 1 container running, the wetty plugin provided by OMV... I had just set it up earlier to try zfs, as I'd never really messed with it). I'll be back in a minute.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So this is what I ended up with when I had no containers running. So it definitely can't remove a filesystem mountpoint, or a folder under said mount point.

So I installed a simple emby container (no symlinks... as you're right I use symlinks heavily in my compose files)...

and then tried your command on the Movies folder....

At first glance, it appears to work... but then I cd'd, and the directory is clearly still there... I didn't have any data there (other than that Movies subfolder) which is clearly still there.

I'll come back to this on Monday or Tuesday when I'm off, as I have some brutal shifts this weekend and see if I come up with anything different.

Interesting points though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just installed the plugin, set up my shares and off I went.

Yep, the plugin should install zfs-dkms which will automatically compiling the module IF you have the headers installed. The plugins dependencies also include the headers but it can fail if you have multiple versions of the backport kernel installed (only one version of headers).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Code
    joe@omv6-test:~$ docker run --rm -v /:/rootfs debian  rm -rf /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f815b04f-b4cc-47d1-ad91-cda1270c759e/Test_Drive_1/Media/

This should have been

Code
    docker run --rm -v /:/rootfs debian  rm -rf /rootfs/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f815b04f-b4cc-47d1-ad91-cda1270c759e/Test_Drive_1/Media/

because i mounted / from the host to /rootfs in the container.

I can give you an example based on your pathes:

Code
    touch /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f815b04f-b4cc-47d1-ad91-cda1270c759e/Test_Drive_1/Media/my_favorite_movie.mov
    sudo chown root:root /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f815b04f-b4cc-47d1-ad91-cda1270c759e/Test_Drive_1/Media/my_favorite_movie.mov
    sudo chmod 400 /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f815b04f-b4cc-47d1-ad91-cda1270c759e/Test_Drive_1/Media/my_favorite_movie.mov
    docker run --rm -v /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f815b04f-b4cc-47d1-ad91-cda1270c759e:/media debian rm -rf /media/*
    ls -laR /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f815b04f-b4cc-47d1-ad91-cda1270c759

Or i can mount /srv (host) to /srv (in container) and /NAS (this is where you are plaving your symlinks) to /NAS in the container and the symlinks will work and have the same pathes as on the host.

Whish you fun destroying your data. Watch out to only use the test system.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!