500 - Internal Server Error: Unable to lock encrypted device.

• Hi everyone,

I installed LUKS disk encryption plugin, and encrypted an entire HDD which I unlock every time I run my OMV6. I also put some stuff in there

and it has been working great so far. Today, I tried to lock the HDD via webgui but I got this error message:

What is the matter with it?

Thanks

• Probably there is a shared folder on the disk.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Probably there is a shared folder on the disk.

YEs, two shared folders. I first decrypt the HDD at the starting each time, then they are available on the LAN for me to use. But I'd like to lock the HDD back when I don't need the two shared folders anymore, without shutting down the system. Thanks

• I fear this can not be done that way from the UI as OMV checks for consistency in it's config.

The result from what you would be doing are shared folders or even smb shares with no disk attached. As a result it would point to some (empty) directory in /srv/...

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You can do that on the cli, but keep in mind that the smb.conf will not be rewritten, so the shares seem to be available.

• .. but keep in mind that the smb.conf will not be rewritten, so the shares seem to be available.

ah ok. it's not a major issues actually. I asked if it was possible to lock the drive back on the fly for security and privacy reasons. I might want to lock it back and keep the OMV server running. Thanks

• It is not a major issue nor an issue at all. Sharedfolders are being used by services and must be available permanently. That’s why unmounting / locking is blocked. It is to prevent errors due to misusage.

Your usecase sounds to me like you perhaps should not have chosen full drive encryption but client side encryption. Or just use both. Sth like gocryptfs, boxcryptor, etc.

Frequently locking and unlocking server drives and turning on and off services is not the proper way.

You are trying to achieve sth full drive encryption is simply not meant for.

• you're probably right. Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!