Ubuntu Docker Install

• KM0201 & Zoki Hey both this is going to be a long post sorry

KM0201 - i tried "apt install sudo" but it was already installed, I'm not using Ubuntu server or OMV, i am just looking to install RealVNC on Debian 11.

Here are the steps i have taken based on the guide https://techviewleo.com/config…ver-and-client-on-debian/ (Step 2) this is a fresh install of Debian 11

Logged in as SU and downloaded RealVNC

Then installed RealVNC, my output is different to the one shown on the guide

Started the services

Installed lightDM

Rebooted PC

After reboot, this i had to do from the machine it self, but before i logged off SSH i ran "usermod -aG sudo liton" just to make sure my user was added to the sudo list

and my normal user is not on the sudo list?

these are the photos from my Debian PC

When i log in i get this

set up password and then go to next screen

i click next here

then click on apply

and it asks for the password to the user liton, which from the image further up cant use sudo

I ran apt install sudo just to make sure sudo was installed

Code
    root@mine2:/home/liton# apt install sudo
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    sudo is already the newest version (1.9.5p2-3).
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@mine2:/home/liton#

I am only using this guide as i couldn't find any others that would install RealVNC most of the guides were for TigerVNC or UltraVNC, all i want is like Raspbian OS when i log into VNC i get the Raspbian desktop but in this case the Debian desktop, i am happy to install TigerVNC or UltraVNC but i'm not sure if i can connect them to my RealVNC account and use them away from the my main machine.

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• And now my Debian PC has another problem with it, start the machine it will get to the log in screen wait about 30 seconds and then shutdown. I'm going to rebuild now

• Do you have this

Code
    # Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
    %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

in /etc/sudoers?

cat /etc/sudoers  or cat /etc/sudoers.d/* will tell.

Or on the screenshot you tried sudo as liton. Have you logged out and logged in again? Linux reads groups on login. (or try newgrp to re-read the goups while logged in)

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• KM0201 & Zoki Thank you both it seems to be working now :D for some reason rebooting the machine seem to fix it (another issue has come to light but i will look into that later) thank you. I would offer you cake and cookies as a thank you but you are a bit far

• KM0201 & Zoki Me again, thought that was tooo easy. So got everything i need set up on the machine and then unplugged the monitor and keyboard and put the machine into it temp location (will be moving it off site soon) i just plugged in the power and network cable and tried to connect using RealVNC and this is all i got

This is after a reboot and also adjusting the res in RealVNC viewer, After reboot the log in window appears I type in the user name and password hit enter and the screen above appears and that's it.

Any ideas?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von STUKguy ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

It looks like your resolution is out of range I'm not that familiar. If you maximize that window, do you see any indications there's a panel somewhere? Not sure how it would work over VNC, but also on most distributions, hitting the "Windows" key on your keyboard, will bring up whatever menu your system has..

If you right click/left click/mouse wheel click the desktop, are you getting some menus by chance?

• It looks like your resolution is out of range I'm not that familiar. If you maximize that window, do you see any indications there's a panel somewhere? Not sure how it would work over VNC, but also on most distributions, hitting the "Windows" key on your keyboard, will bring up whatever menu your system has..

If you right click/left click/mouse wheel click the desktop, are you getting some menus by chance?

That is the window maximized, nothing comes up on the screen. Clicking does nothing. I'm not even sure what to search for online? if i plug the monito back in everything is fine but once i unplug it i get this.

• KM0201 I need to ask a question about Debian, sourcelists and non free drivers. Can i ask you or is it better to open a forum question?

• I know the default sources that OMV has, as for non-free drivers... I don't need them so I probably won't be able to answer your question.

Think i might do the same for the RealVNC issue, i have just finished building and old laptop the same as i have the other machine but i didnt have the screen issues.

• about Debian, sourcelists and non free drivers.

You can try the non-free firmware ISO for Debian to test it, although old hardware should be recognized in full:

Index of /cdimage/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware (debian.org)

Or maybe this has nothing to do with what you want...

• You can try the non-free firmware ISO for Debian to test it, although old hardware should be recognized in full:

Index of /cdimage/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware (debian.org)

Or maybe this has nothing to do with what you want...

I have a Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7610U ("Archer T2U" 2.4G+5G WLAN Adapter on one of my machines and from what i have found i need to install or add a non free source list to my debain, im just hoping someone can explain in simpleton terms how i do this.

• Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7610U ("Archer T2U" 2.4G+5G WLAN Adapter

You were already instructed on the Ralink forum on how to solve it (although it's for Debian 10, reason why it worked on OMV5).

MediaTek 802.11ac USB Wi-Fi Linux Driver Installation - Kuan-Yi Li's Blog (abysm.org)

• You were already instructed on the Ralink forum on how to solve it (although it's for Debian 10, reason why it worked on OMV5).

MediaTek 802.11ac USB Wi-Fi Linux Driver Installation - Kuan-Yi Li's Blog (abysm.org)

Yeah i tried that and replied advising this is what i get

Code
    root@mine2:/home/liton# sudo apt install firmware-misc-nonfree
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Package firmware-misc-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'firmware-misc-nonfree' has no installation candidate
    root@mine2:/home/liton#

Google search lead me to finding out that i need to add non-free to my source list, which is where i get stuck

My source list looks like this

I also found this guide https://unix.stackexchange.com…age-from-debian-backports but i'm still not sure where i need to add what, that's why i asked here

• deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main

This becomes:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free

• This becomes:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free

i did as you said

and i have been stuck on this for 10 minutes

• This should not be related to adding the non-free repo.

mount / -o remount,rw to get you file system back and then check what caused the issue.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• This should not be related to adding the non-free repo.

mount / -o remount,rw to get you file system back and then check what caused the issue.

I ended up hard resetting it seems to be back to normal now, is there anything i should check before i carry on?

• Chec kyour system logs / boot logs if there is a reason for going ro.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!