omv6 and nvidia gpu

• Cap10Canuck:

If you really want to use such an old graphics card (in my opinion there won’t be a big benefit) you can follow this instructions to install the correct nvidia driver:

NvidiaGraphicsDrivers - Debian Wiki

Then proceed the tutorial after the nvidia driver part. But I‘ve never tried using the legacy drivers.

For me it would make more sense to get a used nvidia quadro p600 or p1000 wich is consuming way less power and has way more video performance.

• ok, i spoke to soon, drivers are installed, GPU should be visible inside docker containers as confirmed by

Code
    docker run --rm --runtime=nvidia --gpus all nvidia/cuda:11.6.2-base-ubuntu20.04 nvidia-smi

i have changed plex and immich settings to utilize HW accel, but it does not work. neither plex or immich utilize the HW acceleration... what else could have i missed?

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• ok, i spoke to soon, drivers are installed, GPU should be visible inside docker containers as confirmed by

Code
    docker run --rm --runtime=nvidia --gpus all nvidia/cuda:11.6.2-base-ubuntu20.04 nvidia-smi

i have changed plex and immich settings to utilize HW accel, but it does not work. neither plex or immich utilize the HW acceleration... what else could have i missed?

Hard to say without any information about your installation. In general it is only possible to use one GPU per container. You can not use the same GPU in multiple containers.

HW transcoding will only be used, if the codec of the video can be processed by your GPU. Wich graphics card are you using ?

• You can not use the same GPU in multiple containers.

wtf, you serious? thats a serious bummer.

after further testing is looks like always the container last spun up has access to the GPU, the others don't. so far I can occasionally get HW acceleration for Plex and Ollama, but its pretty unpredictable which one can actually use it. and additionally i wanted to play around with fooocus image generation...

so i guess my only option is to to move my GPU apps to separate LXC containers, as there seems to be a way how to share the GPU between multiple LXCs

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• wtf, you serious? thats a serious bummer.

after further testing is looks like always the container last spun up has access to the GPU, the others don't. so far I can occasionally get HW acceleration for Plex and Ollama, but its pretty unpredictable which one can actually use it. and additionally i wanted to play around with fooocus image generation...

so i guess my only option is to to move my GPU apps to separate LXC containers, as there seems to be a way how to share the GPU between multiple LXCs

I‘m not 100% sure, but I con only run one container with one GPU and I‘ve read about that somewhere. So it seems to be valid.

May be there are ways to overcome that issue, but I don‘t know them. Strange thing on my machine is, that Plex ist running together with Tdarr, using the same GPU. But Plex and Handbrake are not able to use the same GPU. So I‘m running Handbrake on the internal GPU (Intel) and Plex on nvidia.

It might be connected to the nvidia container toolkit. It passes the nvidia driver, which is outside of the container, to the docker container. There might be ways to install the nvidia driver inside the container. But I‘ve never done that.

• For me it would make more sense to get a used nvidia quadro p600 or p1000 wich is consuming way less power and has way more video performance.

Thanks - that is now the plan! I am at the bottom of the spare parts box, so will be looking for an old GTX 1660, which still has a bit of oomph.

• it seems after a kernel update my nvidia gpu is just "gone". all my containers using nvidia refuse to start, nvtop or nvidia-smi shows there is no gpu in the system. lspci shows it.