Will my flash memory survive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any time someone wants to use a ssd for system it is usually a 120GB disk or larger.

1. OMV6 system only takes up about 8Gig.
    2. Because of the extra space, many are tempted to partition the drive and use the extra space for data. Bad Idea.
    3. A large 120GB ssd takes WAY longer to backup and restore than a 16 or 32 gig stick.
    4. With the flashmemory plugin a USB stick is very reliable. I have been using the same pair of sticks for over two years with no problems.
    5. A ssd has to be connected to some type of sata to usb cable or enclosure, which might cause issues.
  • Those reasons are all up to what the user buys and how he configures his stuff. You can partition an SSD to any size you want and you'll even gain reliability due to overprovision when you don't max out the partition size.

80% of the issues I had with OMV were based on issues with the USB sticks despite them being new & tested fine in full read/write tests. May be bad luck or not. If someone is going the USB stick route I'd my advise however would be to only use high quality ones.

Anyway, my SSD-SATA-to-USB proposal was just that, a proposal how to achieve USB stick like handling with SSD trust in reliability.

• A good solution to that is to connect the SSD externally via a SATA-to-USB adapter cable. Since 2.5 inch SSD have no electronics exposed you don't even need a external HDD case.

I am out of this discussion. You have your opinion and I have mine. I prefere having usb sticks lying around (about 10 or so wit hdifferent setings and backups), not ssds. You prefere the ssds.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh, I’ve got more:

6. SSD’s are more expensive.

7. You need two SSD’s to be able to backup and verify. So 2x more expensive.

8. Your backup SSD takes up more space to store than a usb stick.

9. Most users tend to mount SSD’s internally, making them less likely to be backed up and …

10. take up a sata port that could be used for a data drive.

11. A USB stick looks cool plugged into the front of your server, and family and friends are amazed when I show them my system drive:

Zoki had some good ones too, and like he said “I’m out of this discussion.”

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've always been paranoid about having a flash drive just hanging out of the case (incredible labeling there..lol).

Since I eschew OS backups, my next build I bought a header cable for an internal USB 3.2 header... and will just keep the flash drive inside the case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That’s an old pic, btw. Notice the August 2021 date. I do keep the os current and run a dd backup about once a month and rotate the os disk. Although my backup server is on OMV6, I haven’t taken the plunge with this one yet. I need to make sure all my docker-compose and reverse proxy files are copied and safe in case I do a clean install. I will try the upgrade path but want to be ready for a clean install. :)

You probably notice the cob webs too. :rolleyes:

• You probably notice the cob webs too.

What I noticed was the 120 on the UPS display.

I hope that's voltage number, 😁

How much watts are you using on that setup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Soma very perceptive. Yes, that’s voltage. Never checked the watts.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!