Authenication issues connecting to SMB shares from Synology DSM

• Hello,

I'm a bit of a noob with Openmediavault. I have it running on an HP Proliant Microserver with a 10.92TB RAID 5 Array (created with OMV, not HW controller), formatted and mounted as BTRFS. I've installed the 3rd party omv-extras flashmemory and docker plugins, and installed the updates.

I've created a user, some shared folders, enabled SMB, NFS, added my user to the sambashare, ssh, and sudo groups. I've assiged shared folder RW privileges for that user for all the folders I've created, and also added RW privileges in ACL for the same folders.

The Shares show up fine on my Mac and I can read and write to them logged in as the user I created.

I firstly want to transfer all of my data from my ageing and quite slow Diskstation (there's about 4TB's worth), and I'm struggling to find an efficiant way to do it. I've tried command line mounting nfs shares and recursively copying, but the process always hangs before completion, I haven't yet got my head around setting up and using Rsync.

I have been trying to connect to the SMB shares from the diskstation GUI, and keep failing because a) I'm not 100% sure what the full sharename is for an OMV Samba share, and b) I keep getting told there's an authentication error.

I have added server min protocol = NT1 to the extra options in the SMB settings in OMV

I have also tried connecting from the command line on the diskstation using smbclient -L servername

I'm a bit stumped and would welcome some help if anyone has the time or inclination.

Thanks

Doug

Edited once, last by Dougal: Noticed some typos ().

• Official Post

I firstly want to transfer all of my data from my ageing and quite slow Diskstation (there's about 4TB's worth), and I'm struggling to find an efficiant way to do it

I would do it the other way around. Create a share from the outdated Synology and access it from OMV. I set up a remote folder with openmediavault-remotemount. Then set up a local rsync job from OMV to transfer the data.

• Thank you, I'll have a go at doing that and report back later. :)

[some time later]

Seems to be working. Will do one shared folder at a time overnight and hopefully it'll all copy over.

Thanks again.

• Official Post

Seems to be working.

When you have copied it, this other plugin will do you good to reset permissions. That data comes from a Synology, it will probably have ACL permissions set by DSM. You are interested in removing them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!