Receiving ClamAV notifications despite plug-in not installed

• Hello Forum!

I am experiencing a quite unusual problem and I am at lost regarding how to solve it. A year ago or so I installed ClamAV in my server since I gave my parents access to it. Shortly after, they didn't required access any longer so decided to uninstall ClamAV. At the time, the server was running OMV 5.

Fast forward to last week. I upgraded my server to version 6 and decided to activate notifications. To my surprise, I am getting 60+ notifications early in the morning with error message from ClamAV telling me that it cannot scan a folder (the one I originally shared with my parents and that was being monitored a year ago):

Code
    ERROR: Could not connect to clamd on LocalSocket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl: No such file or directory

As far as I recalled I had uninstalled the plugin. So I checked again and the plugin was indeed not installed. I checked the scheduled jobs, but there was no task related to ClamAV. I tried installing the plugin and uninstalling it again, but the problem still persists.

In my humble understanding of how OMV works, I suspect that there is a zombie cron job somewhere trying to run a scan or monitor a folder every day at 4:00 am. It fails of course since the plug in is not available, and then it generates a zillion notifications that end up in my inbox.

I checked the files in my server hopping to find a cron job under etc/crontab, but what I found instead is a clamav folder with a bunch of configurations inside (which I suppose shouldn't exist since the plugin is not installed). I also tried cleaning the installed packages (System -> omv-extras -> Settings -> apt-clean) but that didn't solve the issue either.

So, I am at a dead end and have no clue what went wrong. I don't think that the problem was a consequence of the server upgrade. Any ideas or suggestions are highly appreciated!

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• Eryan

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Receiving ClamAV notifications despite plug-in installed“ zu „Receiving ClamAV notifications despite plug-in not installed“ geändert.
  • Hello macom

Thanks for the reply. I believe the issue might be solved. A couple of days ago tried installing the plug in, enabling it, disabling and uninstalling it. Apparently that worked, since have received no further notifications in the last two days.

However, coming back to your suggestion, the output of the commands is as follows. If I am not mistaken, the plug in is somehow still running:

Code
    root@Openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep clamav
    ii  clamav-base                         0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         all          anti-virus utility for Unix - base package
    ii  clamav-daemon                       0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         amd64        anti-virus utility for Unix - scanner daemon
    ii  clamav-freshclam                    0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         amd64        anti-virus utility for Unix - virus database update utility
    ii  libclamav9:amd64                    0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         amd64        anti-virus utility for Unix - library
    ii  openmediavault-clamav               6.0.1-2                        all          openmediavault ClamAV plugin

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• For whatever reason it was still installed. Why exactly is completely unknown to me. I uninstalled it (again) and ran the commands you suggested. They all returned nothing (as it should be).

So, problem solved I guess? I'll wait until tomorrow to see if I get notifications regarding ClamAV. If not, I believe the issue was a zombie ClamAV process running in my server.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Eryan

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!