Newbie -- Need to upgrade 5.5.11 (with upgrades) to Current -- Have Data

• I have not upgraded (online) for a long time. And I had to shutdown and power off my office for a while. Had our gateway firewall server overheat and die. ?(

So back specifically to OMV -- I have it set up with three drives, two are in RAID MIrror.

If I burn an ISO and install that, will it recognize the disks being used and setup the same mount points? I'm asking because I have other machines that need to connect again. So I have users, passwords, etc. and I'd like to make this as painless as possible as I need some sleep. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have two options.

Do and omv-release-upgrade to update Debian and OMV.

Or you do a fresh install.

If you do a fresh install, your RAID should be discovered during first boot. But than you have to do the configuration manually. I.e. mount filesystems, create shared folders pointing at the existing folders on the filesystems, add users, give users privileges on the shared folder, and the shared folders to services etc.

To accomplish this it is helpful to have screenshots of the settings you currently have on OMV5

• I am in a similar boat as the OP. Looks like my OS drive has failed and I don't have a backup of the OS drive.

If I fresh install OMV 6 (older version that has crashed was 4.x) on a new SSD OS drive, will I loose the data on the data drives?

Please help me as I am in desperate need of the data on the data drives.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I fresh install OMV 6 (older version that has crashed was 4.x) on a new SSD OS drive, will I loose the data on the data drives?

No. Disconnect the data drives when installing OMV. This way you avoid to make a mistake to install the OS on one of the data drives.

After installation shut down, connect the data drives and boot. After that do the configuration.

In any case you should have backup of your data. Always.

I am in desperate need of the data on the data drives.

You can connect the data drives to any Linux system to access them. This can also be a live distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

• Thank you all for the info provided. I have to get a large USB drive to back up the data I have. And doing the update with those drives disconnected -- Should have thought of that myself. I've done Linux installs doing that to protect data drives. Now if I can just get a Live CD of Suse LEAP 15.x to boot (possibly problem with my USB DVD writer).

• And doing the update with those drives disconnected

If you do the omv-release-upgrade you should not unplug the drives.

The upgrade script will do it's magic without any harm to them.

And unpluging them, will create a lot of errors from missing references.

What you need to do is a proper tested clone of the OS drive before attempting the upgrade.

That way, you always have a safe way to go back.

The link posted on #2 is still valid and don't jump steps.

If any thing is off with any of the steps, ask first before trying things for yourself, ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!